Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade thought to 3.0

I have a customer who is running 2.4.6.135. With CallManager 3.0(11). We are going to upgrade the CM to 3.12(c) just before the Unity upgrade. The local Cisco people and I do not want to go through the ugly, error prone, and lengthy import/export process for Unity. Rather Cisco will provide us with a backup server that is identical in hardware to the current one (MCS 7835 with Raid 1). We are able to do some drive mirroring stuff (they are both Raid 1) to make the backup server an identical clone of the original and have that running for a few days so that the users can retrieve their old messages. That's the scenario now for the question<br><br> When I upgrade to 3.0. Is there still a printer port dongle or is there something new? I ask this since I want to have 2 Unity's running at the same time and licensing is the only issue I can see. If I have to use the old printer port dongle on the 3.0 server, can I still have the backup server running with only the 1 demo port active? I would rather start off with a new 3.0 install without going through the import export stuff. Any thoughts?<br><br>Thanks in advance<br>Marcus Mitchell<br><br>

4 REPLIES
Gold

Re: Upgrade thought to 3.0

3.0 and 2.4.6 share the same licensing model. If you remove the key the system will drop back to demo mode automatically and 2 ports will be active.

Keith

Keith Chambers
Unity Technical Lead
Unified Voice Team, San Jose
Cisco Systems
kechambe@cisco.com

Anonymous
N/A

just an additional note... the Unity 3.0 system will be looking for "3" as the major version on the key so you'll need a license upgrade for that key before it can be used on a 3.x system.

But yes, you can get the system up and flying as a 3.x system in demo mode without a key if you just want to get your migration stuff done without interrupting service on the 2.x box.

However, is this a unified messaging box (i.e. are the users homed off the Unity servers themselves)? That could cause an interesting problem if that's the case since you can't have user's setup as subscribers on two different Unity servers at the same time (i.e. you'll need to remove them as subscribers on the 2.x system before you can import them onto the 3.x system). If these are just voice mail only servers then no problem... you'll just have two accounts setup for each user and, presumably, the one on the 2.x box will be "retired" after a while.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Anonymous
N/A

Thanks for the responses. The scenario is that the 2.4 box will put up and running on the backup sever and without a dongle when I put the 3.x into service. The current 2.4.6 setup is voicemail only not unified. I did it that in the hopes to avoid the issues you described. I am glad that part of the plan worked. Also, we are in the process of getting the new licesning for the 3.0 upgrade. That's been a little fun but that's a sales issue.

So to verify -
1) I will clone the current 2.4.6 box onto the backup server and remove the dongle. This will give me 2 ports.
2) Now I will begin to install 3.0 on the current server.
3) after completion I will leave the 2.4 up for about a week to allow users to retrieve old voicemails. Then take it off line.

Sound Good?!?!?!
Marcus

Gold

Yeah that sounds fine. Moving the mirrored drives around can be a pain if the server thinks that have changed slots. It’s also not something that TAC will help you with if you run into issues. Make sure that you move the drive to the same slot on the other server. i.e. slot 0 to slot 0, slot 1 to slot 1. If you do that it should be fine.

Keith

Keith Chambers
Unity Technical Lead
Unified Voice Team, San Jose
Cisco Systems
kechambe@cisco.com

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content