cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrade to 2000

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

My customer is going to migrate their Exchange environment from 5.5 to 2000. The unity (2.46) I understand needs to be brought up to 3.1. The customer has software maint. Does the 3.1 upgrade include Exchange 2000. Thank You<br><br>

7 Replies 7

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

Yes it does but your customer should not run Exchange on box if they have an existing Exchange server.

Keith

Keith Chambers
Unity Technical Lead
Unified Voice Team, San Jose
Cisco Systems

Not applicable

So it would be better to install Unity 3.1 on the existing Corporate Exchange server instead of having a separate server just for Unity/Exchange.

Yes. Less is better. I would try to keep Exchange and AD off the box whenever possible. Also, with Unity 3.0 and later we added the Unity Message Repository (UMR) component. With the UMR, if Exchange goes Unity will stay up and folks have access to those messages left during the Exchange outage via the TUI.

Keith

Keith Chambers
Unity Technical Lead
Cisco Systems

Not applicable

I don't mean to beat a dead horse but I just want to be sure. I thought Exchange needed to be installed on the Unity Box. So I can Install Unity 3.1 by itself with no exchange and direct it to the corporate exchange box. Thanks for your patience.

No problem. With Unity 2.X it does need Exchange on the machine because Unity uses the Exchange directory as its database. With Unity 3.X we moved the database to SQL. Exchange is no longer required on the machine now because of this move to SQL.

Keith

Keith Chambers
Unity Technical Lead
Cisco Systems

Not applicable

Thanks for your help

Not applicable

Does the SQL come bundled in the cd install files on Cisco's site, or do I have to install SQL separatley.