Cisco Support Community
Community Member

Upgrade Unity 2.4 build to Unity 3.x or 4.x

I have a single Unity Server with Exchange 5.5 in a Windows NT 4.0 domain. Both Exchange 5.5 and NT 4.0 PDC is configured on the single Unity Server. There is also a seperate NT domain and Exchange 5.5 providing mail service.

I am looking at upgrading the Unity Server to either version 3.x or 4.x. But will be looking at using the enterprise Exchange 5.5 and Windows NT 4.0 domain. So on the new Unity server would not have Exchange installed on it and be a member server on the enterprise Windows NT 4.0 Domain.

Is this a possible upgrade scenario? Also would I be able to export the voice mail messages and greetiings to the new Unity Systems?

Cisco Employee

Re: Upgrade Unity 2.4 build to Unity 3.x or 4.x

Yes, both 3.x and 4.x will work with Exchange 5.5 running off box with an NT domain controller.

The upgrade process from 2.x to newer versions is actually a "forklift" process where you export all the 2.x data from your existing system, install a new 3.x or 4.x system - get it running properly and then import the 2.x data into it. This includes all the greetings and voice names and configuration data but doesn't include everything - phone passwords are not preserved (we changed encryption mechanisms along the way) and this doesn't include the messages of subscribers - you can do that with ExMerge on your own if necessary.

The tool to do this is the FullDBImport and Export applications - they ship with Unity 3.x and 4.x, however you'll want to snag the latest versions on CiscoUnityTools here:

The help file out there also lists the items included in the transfer and what's not which may be helpful.

for help on migrating messages here, there's a document called "Migrating Unity" on the documents page on that talks about how to use ExMerge to move messages between systems - this should work for you.

CreatePlease to create content