Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

upgrade unity server from island ex55 to corp domain

Our client has UM unity in the isolated domain from their corp domain. Subscribers are created from Unity .Message store is E55. Unity version is 3.1x.

Now we need to migrate this island unity into WIN2000. SInce we have to use AD's user acounts and Ex2k's mailbox, how can we restore unity database in this kind of situation?

Thanks

5 REPLIES

Re: upgrade unity server from island ex55 to corp domain

It sounds to me like the greatest concern is moving their saved voicemail over to the new system. Using EXmerge will accomplish this for you. Next is to decide how to move the Unity server over. At that point, a rebuild would seem easiest to me, and all users could be imported from the corp exchange server.

You may be able to use the DiRT utility prior to the rebuild to accomplish all of this, but I am not sure how it would respond to the new domain.

Depending on the scenerio - something along the lines of InterOrg connectors on the exchange side may help out as well.

I am not very concered about mailbox, it can be done by exmerge , as you said. My concern is unity database since those subscribers accounts are different from the ones in AD. If I use dirt utility, those restored accounts don't have the same SID as those one in AD. This gonna be my big problem.

Cisco Employee

When you do the DiRT restore into the new corporate directory it will search for the Unity subscribers in the directory first using the DirectoryID (SID - this will, of course, not match), then by their RDN (again, this wont match) and finally by their mail alias. If the aliases of the users in the corporate domain match those in your voice mail domain, you're golden - it will hook up to the right corporate mailboxes and you're good to go.

If not, DiRT will create new mailboxes for those users in the corporate domain - you can then use the Migrate Subscriber Data (latest is available on www.CiscoUnityTools.com) to move those user's data (and messages if you got them with DiRT) onto their corporate accounts. You have to do this one at a time so it can be a bit tedious for large numbers of users but it can work.

If that's not to you're liking then the only other option is to pull your messages over with ExMerge and start from scratch on the new system.

Cool. That's pretty much as I need. Here are my another related questions:

First,if nothing matches, it'll not only create a new mailbox, also will create a new account in the AD. will this account be deleted automatically after running the MSD

Second, is there a problem to restore unity between two different domains? I think it'll ended up with AVcsmgr not started after restore because of either different domain or different accounts. I experienced once. I have to use permission wizard to fix it.

Thanks Jeff

Cisco Employee

The MSD tool never deletes any mail user accounts or mailboxes - it only removes the subscriber properties from that account and moves it on to the new account for you - it's up to you to delete the mailbox and account if you want to. The risk of us deleting a mailbox the site didn't want us to was too great here so we avoided that option for full subscribers.

DiRT handles domain changes and server name changes and back end mailstore configuration changes etc... etc... just fine. please check out the help file and the training videos available on CiscoUnityTools.com - this is discussed there.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content