Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Upgrade

I have a customer that has outgrown his Dell G-1. They have 12 ports of VM and 4 ports of fax. (I know, undersold to start with). Since upgrading them to 2.4.6.102, memory utilization has gone through the roof. They are usually using more than the physical memory capacity (256 MEG) of the Dell G-1. This makes for slow response time, message delivery, etc. After working with Cisco tech support to make sure there was not an issue with the hardware or software, we came to the conclusion that we would need to get the faxing off of the G-1 and also somehow transfer all VM information to a bigger, stronger, faster server. (We did do the MAPI traffic tip that was offered to try to help). The process is documented for changing to a 2 box fax solution but what would be the best way to change to a new server without having to re-invent the wheel? Will the Import/Export tool work with this scenario? Where could I get something documented as to a procedure to follow for this type of an upgrade? I will be willing to set up a time, if nothing is documented as of now, to talk to an engineer to develop a plan so we can go ahead and get this started. Keep in mind that the customer is also planning on going to Windows and Exchange 2000, once Unity 3.0 is released. Thanks in advance for the help.<br><br>

1 REPLY
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Upgrade

The best way to do this is using standard tools that folks use the world over for upgrading their hardware on standing Exchange servers… a full tape backup and restore is the only supported mechanism for doing this. If the server name doesn’t need to change and you’re not getting funky by trying to reconfigure your Exchange site or domain structure or whatever as part of this, there’s no reason this can’t work without a hitch.

Using an Exchange aware backup tool like BackupExec should be no problem here. You’ll need to do a FULL backup of the OS (all files on the HD) and then a separate backup of the Exchange IS and DS and then follow the instructions for restoring this onto a new box with a new SID into the Exchange site again.

Unity doesn’t introduce any unusual considerations here… Most folks think we have some special backup and restore needs and we really don’t. You can treat our box like any other Exchange server in the site. All our messages are in Exchange, most of our data is straight up stuff in the directory, and if you get the entire hard drive contents, you have all the greetings, routing rules etc…

You should only have to use the import/export in a pinch (i.e. if the site is “flattening” it’s Exchange site and is reconfiguring or the like). I do have a doc on how to do this that Will wrote up for the TAC folks but again, in your case I’d really recommend a backup/restore tool supported by Microsoft. We’ve even used “Ghost” to move a system information onto another box successfully. Lots of tool out there to do this type of thing.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content