Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

upgrades

two scenarios - the first is 2.4.6 server to upgrade to 3.1.5, the second is 3.0.1.7 server to upgrade to 3.1.5. all in the same AD domain. We are treating the users on the old systems as new users on the new systems, meaning they will recreate all of thier system settings. We have documented all of the server configurations and would like to take the 2.4.6 and 3.0.1.7 servers offline and build new servers with new hardware.

My question is - what is the best way to decommission the server, delete the users and create them as new subscribers on the new 3.1.5 servers. For 2.4.6, can I just run the uninstall utility to remove the unity attributes so these AD accounts can be imported into the new unity 3.1.5 server? Also, for the Unity 3.0.1.7, should I run the uninstall utility to remove properties from AD accounts to enable them to be imported into the new server or can I just use the Delete Subscriber Properties tool and decommision the server. Are there too many gotcha's there with this tool, should i just stick with the uninstall?

Thoughts would be appreciated. We are not looking at using the DIRT tool for 3.0.1.7 because we are not migrating the users, we are treating them as new users.

• Other Collaboration Voice and Video Subjects
2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: upgrades

I'd run uninstall in both cases - both servers will have items in the directory you want removed. The 2.4.6 system obviously has a load of stuff under the Unity folder in the directory but th 3.0 system will have location objects in there as well which you'll want to remove.

It's a better bet to run the uninstall on both and, in the case of 3.0(x), remove the appropriate distribution list and the Unity folder out of the directory before installing a clean system. This will ensure you have a nice tidy platform to install you one new Unity server and all the users will be importable into the new box since Uninstall takes care of removing subscriber properties off all the users in the directory.

BTW, you can't use DiRT on 3.0(x) anyway - you need to be at least at 3.1(2) for that to work so it wasn't an option anyway.

Re: upgrades

Thanks for the quick response and reminder about DIRT, I think I knew this already, just not thinking.

One additional question about the AD/schema update. Currently, both 2.4.6 server and 3.0.1.7 are in an OU called Unity. We were planning on renaming that OU to Unity_OLD and creating a new OU for the 3.1.5 servers called Unity. We are going to do the schema update before we begin work on the decommissions. I dont believe renaming the OU will adversely affect the 3.0.1.7 server - can you comment on that? We are using all docs and some tools from your site and am trying to plan this well, there are just lots of questions like these that keep popping up...thanks.

Views
Helpful
Replies