cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading 2.4.6 to 3.1.4

tmaurello_2
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Unity UM installation in an existing Exchange 5.5 site. All subscribers are homed on a separate Exchange 5.5 server. I will be upgrading to 3.1.4, keeping the same Exchange 5.5 integration. I have read all of the upgrade docs and several forum posts, but I still have a couple of questions.

First, I understand that it is required to uninstall Unity 2.4.6 to pull the hooks out of Exchange. Once that is done, is there any way to fallback in case of a failed upgrade?

Second, during the install of 3.1x, does Exchange 5.5 need to be loaded on the Unity server again, or just the configured connector to the Exchange 5.5 server where the subscribers are homed? Does anything need to happen with the Exchange 5.5 server that was on the Unity server for 2.4.6?

2 Replies 2

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There isn't an easy way to "undo" a forklift upgrade like this... the best I can suggest is a full tape backup of the 2.4.6 system and if you get in a real jam you can restore it.

If you have your 3.1.4 system installed and flying, taking calls and looking good, then do the export from 2.4.6, then uninstall it, then do the import into 3.1.4 you should be in good shape. The import stuff has been around the block more than a few times, it's not likely to just up and fail on you. Once you have 3.1(4) installed and working your risk drops way down.

You need to have the Exchange 5.5 administration app installed on the 3.1(4) system - it's not necessary to have the full Exchange 5.5 server installed if you want to run Exchange 55 off box. If you don't have any users homed on the Exchange server on the 2.4.6 server then there isn't anything you need to do there... you can "retire" the box if you want after the migration is complete.

Thanks for the info Jeff. I assumed that once Unity 2.4.6 was uninstalled and the custom Exchange attributes were removed from the Exchange site, there was no going back.

Unfortunately, in my scenario, I do not have access to a new server. Once I back everything up, export all my data and uninstall 2.4.6, I'm basically blowing the server away and doing the "Reinstall all software on Existing Server" scenario.