cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading Exchange without disconnecting Unity - problem?

mfundaro
Level 1
Level 1

I am running Unity 3.1.3 with UM, until recently connected to Exchange 5.5. Our LAN and e-mail team implemented Active Directory and upgraded to Exchange 2000 but didn't tell me when they were doing it (I found out when none of my users were getting voicemails into their Outlook inboxes). Now I would like to integrate Unity with AD and Exch 2000, but I'm wondering if upgrading Exchange while Unity was still connected could cause problems with my own upgrade. The procedure in the Cisco documentation says to disconnect Unity from Exchange before upgrading Exchange. Has anyone done this upgrade "out of order" and if so, were there problems?

4 Replies 4

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

I don't think this will be a problem for you. When you connect to Exchange 2000/AD a component called the Syncher will write data from SQL to AD. If objects such as the primary location object are missing the Syncher will create them automatically.

Keith

Good news, thanks.

Should I still "disconnect from Exchange 5.5" in Unity (per the procedure for migrating to Exchange 2000 in the Unity install guide)? My understanding of the disconnect process is that it removes the objects Unity creates in Exchange. Is that still necessary, or is my impression a false one?

Yeah you will still need to disconnect from the 5.5 server.

The 5.5 server is no longer there, I was just wondering if I should "disconnect" in Unity to make sure nothing will be running to conflict with the new connection to Exch 2000.