cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading from Unity 2.4.6 to Unity 4.0.2

s.hills
Level 1
Level 1

I have a customer that is interested in sending me their Unity 2.4.6 drives and upgrading them to Unity 4.0.2. They would only be sending drives and not the server. The server is something like a MCS 7837 so it contains RAID SCSI drives.

Can I put those drives in another server upgrade to Unity 4.0.2 and send the drives back to customer and have them pop the drives in? Would the system recognize the drives having been in another server?

1 Reply 1

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello -

This sounds like a cool idea in theory and something I've pondered about as well. Here are a few reasons I could come up with as to why this won't work:

- Unity license file is linked to MAC of NIC card in server

- Unity configuration needs a primary Exchange server in the domain

- Global catalog server in domain is stored in the registry (at least until version 4.0(4) I think)

- Customer's drive hardware BIOS most likely out of date and server configuration may be different. If anything this will impact server reboots and require intervention to get past errors at start-up.

- Domain and Exchange related permissions

I had previous experience with installing Unity 3.x in a test lab that was a "copy" of our production domain (all server names, domain names, etc. were the same). I tried moving the server from the test lab into production, but no workie. I moved it back into the lab and performed a full deinstall of Unity. I was then able to move the server back into production and perform a new install of Unity on it.

Sincerely, Ginger