cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading Unity Connection to Unity 2.4.6(x)

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

Jeff<br>I have been told I need to upgrade an existing Unity Connection install to a recent Unity Enterprise version this weekend. I searched the forums but couldn't see anything relevant. Don't know [yet] if the customer site is integrated with CM. Don't see anything on CCO [I guess that was pre-acquisition]. <br>Any pointers to procedures. Any "Gotchas"?<br>All assistance greatly appreciated.<br>TIA<br><br>

4 Replies 4

Not applicable

OK - here's the skinny - a V. Strange one...
We somehow have an active-voice unity connection 2.5.0.40!!
It is not "playing well" with call manager and from your notes [here and CCO] seems to need to get to a consistant supported "set" of CCM/TSP/Unity.
I have a freshly licenced "Cisco" Unity 2.4.6(126) with CM 3.0(10) and 1.0(0.36).
My specific questions:-
- can I just "upgrade the licence" ? [prolly not]
- will your unity export/import utilities work?
- Will uninstall utility work?
Onsite - this could be fun!..
-H-

Not applicable

well... you're in some pretty seriously uncharted territory I'm afraid. I have never tested any of my tools with Connection. I have, in fact, never installed Connection myself. It IS based on an older build of Unity (they branched somewhere in the pre release process of 2.4.5).

The import might work, the uninstall might work etc... it's just a matter of how much the Connection team deviated from the mainline branch.

Be sure to check the export logs carefully for errors... anything that has "~" in it is normally a COM error and is generally real bad news (i.e. the DOH balked at returning a collection I asked for).

Just to be clear, this is unsupported territory. You may have better luck trying to use the subscriber information dump to CSV (off AnswerMonkey as well) and import just the basic Subscriber info instead of doing the much more complex and involved full DB import/export. Just a thought...

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

Jeff
Thanks - The sub-dump works, and the export-handlers seem to work, but the db-dump gives errors in the user defs. for the interviewers - but no ~s !! I could live doing the subs+handlers...
The bad news is that I HAVE to uninstall because the 2.4.6 installer won't "downgrade" because it thinks it is at 2.5.0.
Any clue how to force the installer to work? is there a list of registry entries to remove? I would prefer that to I trying the uninstaller and asking about it if it fails.

Not applicable

First, if you try to uninstall and if fails, you're really in no worse shape than you are otherwise. Doing it manually is the same regardless. Either way, you want to install the Uninstall app since you'll need a couple of EXEs out of there to get this done.

hmmmm... OK, lets see if we can doc all the steps the Uninstall app does.

1 a. remove all subscribers, one at a time, via the Connection SA. This removes the subscriber properties off the mail user records in Exchange. If you don't do this, you'll have to do it by hand in "raw mode" Exchange later since Unity 2.4.6 wont allow these guys to be imported as new users. You can try running "SubscriberKiller.exe" which is installed and used by the uninstall utility. If you run this stand alone logged in as the account that installed Connection, it should run through and remove all subscribers at once. If this fails, then the Connection might not come up again and you'll need to do it using raw mode.

1. b. If the auto remove fails or you don't want to do it one at a time, open exchange in raw mode (use the "-r" command line parameter for the exchange administrator). For each mail user that's a subscriber, open their raw properties (hit shift+enter on them) and remove the "Voice Mail User ID" property. That should do it.

2. Stop all AV services. Use "Kill AV*.*". You can get this from the directory where you installed the Uninstall applciation.

3. open regedit and remove the Active Voice tree under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software. Also remove the "Phrase Server Classes" branch under the same software node. Don't remove anything else in the registry.

4. Stop all the web services. The easiest way to do this is to run "net Stop IISADMIN" from the command line... it'll bark at you to shut down several other services as well, just reply "yes" to all of them until it goes down.

5. Remove the AV services from the control panel. To do this use the INSTSRV.EXE tool installed by the Uninstall tool (you'll find it in the directory you installed it to). The syntax looks like "INSTSRV AvCsMgr REMOVE". You need to do this for each service that starts with "AV" in the Service Control panel.

6. Remove the AvCsTrayStatus application from the startup folder.

7. Remove the Connection installation directory… Not sure if they stuck with “commserver” or what. Just delete it. If it barks at you that some file is still open, just remember to do this after rebooting before you install. With the services removed, nothing will startup after a reboot.

8. Remove the web pages directory. This can be found under \InetPub\wwwroot\… you’ll see an “SAWeb”, “SAHelp” and maybe a “Status” and the like under there… you need to remove these directories. The connection folks may have named them somewhat differently.

9. Remove the greetings files. You’ll find these under the ExSvr\Res\”. Under the Machine Name folder, you’ll see a bunch of STM files that are your greetings. Just delete the entire machine name folder itself

10. Remove the icons from the desktop and remove the program group

11. Remove Some DLLs from the WinNt\System32 directory. Don’t just delete AV*.*! That’s bad… some of those are MS files and your system will be very unhappy. Here’s a list of the ones you need to get rid of if they’re on your system (they may not all be there):

avwmfree.dll
avwm.dll
avupgradekey.dll
avtsm.dll
avsio.dll
avsecuritykey.dll
avmiustring.dll
avlogmgrperfapi.dll
avlogmgrperf.dll
avcoral.dll
avwmfree.dll
AvTrapConnectionHolder.exe

12. Reboot.

13. If the Installation folder didn’t go without a fight, remember to remove it after the reboot.

14. Open Exchange in Raw mode (see above) and delete the Unity folder (or whatever folder name they chose… I’d be surprised if they changed it) by using the “Delete raw object” option under the Edit menu. This toasts all the other Unity (connection) objects from the directory.

15. Delete any accounts or distribution lists created by setup. This includes Example Admin, Example Subscriber, Unity Messaging System, Unaddressed Messages DL, All Subscribers DL etc…

16. That should be it… you’re clean. Easy as pie, right? Now you now why I went about automating this…

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)