Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Use of Veritas Backup SQL Agent vs. backing up unitydb.bak

Hello -

We are currently not using the Veritas SQL Agent for Unity 3.1(5) or any of our SQL servers. The recommendation is to use each server's own SQL processes to backup the databases, then use Veritas to backup those files. I suspect this may be done to minimize the cost of running the Veritas remote agent on each server . Veritas does backup the weekly and differential *.bak files that Unity backs up each night at 2:00 AM via its own scheduled process. I would appreciate your advice on what problems I might run into attempting to restore the Unitydb using the method we currently have in place. Or is this an acceptable/approved method? I intend to forward your information to our Backup and SQL administrators, particularly if I need to justify purchasing the Veritas SQL Agent at least for our Unity server.

Much appreciated in advance, Ginger

• Other Collaboration Voice and Video Subjects
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: Use of Veritas Backup SQL Agent vs. backing up unitydb.bak

Have you guys reviewed the "backing up and restoring Unity" white paper?

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/whitpapr/backupcu.htm

Not sure if that has the detail you're gunning for. Yes, the reason to backup the full and differential backups is to avoid having to pony up for the SQL agent on each box - you can certainly do that if you like but it's not necessary. Remember that the SQL tasks inserted by the Unity instlal include full backups on the weekend and incramental backups during week nights - you'll have to restore the full then apply the differential. You'll also want to be sure to time your tape backups to run after the SQL scheduled tasks complete... obviously with the SQL agent installed for Veritas this isn't necessary.

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Have you guys reviewed the "backing up and restoring Unity" white paper?

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/whitpapr/backupcu.htm

Not sure if that has the detail you're gunning for. Yes, the reason to backup the full and differential backups is to avoid having to pony up for the SQL agent on each box - you can certainly do that if you like but it's not necessary. Remember that the SQL tasks inserted by the Unity instlal include full backups on the weekend and incramental backups during week nights - you'll have to restore the full then apply the differential. You'll also want to be sure to time your tape backups to run after the SQL scheduled tasks complete... obviously with the SQL agent installed for Veritas this isn't necessary.

Hi Jeff -

Thanks much! Yes, I had previously reviewed the white paper. Just wanted to make sure we were following a supported direction. Sincerely,

Ginger

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.