Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

User can't retrieve voicemail through phone

We have one user who can't retrieve his voicemail through the phone. He is receiving voicemail so Unity does seem to see his mailbox to route the voicemail correctly. The message he gets is:<br><br>system is unable to access your mailbox at this time.<br><br>Any suggestions? We are running Unity 2.4.6.102.<br><br>We have tried to delete the subscriber but cannot delete the subscriber.<br><br>

8 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: User can't retrieve voicemail through phone

Whenever you get the fail safe conversation (the "I'm sorry, I can't talk to you now" thing) there is always at least one error logged to the application event log that should help point us at what the problem is.

The fact that you can't delete them is probably a clue here... you see them in the SA but when you go to delete them what happens exactly? Does an error come up? What is it?

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Anonymous
N/A

Got the following error message when user tried to retrieve voicemail:

Subscriber [Joe Smith]: Unable to get subscriber's mailbox storage, [IAvDohMailUser::get_PrimaryMailbox()] returned [0x8004000c] on line 4590 of file E:\X2.5.0\Sources2.5.0-dev\UI\Function\FC_General.cpp.

Anonymous
N/A

Well... looks like our access to this user's mail store isn't in working order. Can you fill us in on what happens via the SA when you try to remove this guy as a subscriber? did you happen to move this particular user from one Exchange server to another recently?

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Anonymous
N/A

I don't know as I am not the original person who handled his mailbox, but it seems bizarre that message delivery works fine but message retrieval doesn't. Can you provide a little more detail as to why this might be the case? When I try to remove him from SA, it looks like it does it, but the his account is still there and I have to refresh the browser to see the command buttons that are usually at the top.

Anonymous
N/A

Delivering the messages to the inbox and getting them over the phone are two very different processes. Delivering the message is easy and doesn't require admin access to their mailbox (i.e. we don't need to log into someone's mailbox to delivery a message to it). We simply hand it to the MTA on the local Exchange server and it takes care of the rest. Getting the message over the phone requires we log into the mailbox as that user and gain full access to all it's messages... lots more can go wrong here than in the delivery scenario.

From the SA description it sounds as though you have a missing or corrupted primary call handler for that guy (that would cause the "sweet tart" buttons on the top to go to a blank white panel). Can you download the dbWalker tool off my web page below and run it (don't check the options at the top, just run it plain) and see if any errors come up around that guy's account? You'll almost certainly see other errors (every system has some bad links and the like, this is normal) but I'm specifically looking for errors around that guy's subscriber account or the primary call handler associated with it.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Anonymous
N/A

Unfortunately I didn't see anything around his account. Can't I just remove his Unity mailbox in dohproptest as well as his call handler and start over or will Unity not take too kindly to that?

Anonymous
N/A

You don't need to use DOHPropTest (you'll need a password to gain access to it in anything other than read only mode anyway).

You can delete the user's primary call handler in Exchange by going under the Unity\Handlers\CallHandlers folder off the site container and finding the handler with an alias of "ch_" and removing it. Be extra sure you get the right one!

Then open Exchange in raw mode (pass in the -r command line parameter to the admin application), view the raw properties on the subscriber in question (select the user and hit file | raw properties) and set the "voice-mail-user-id" value to "0". If the user is homed on a remote Exchange server in the site, force replication between the servers. If not, just wait 10 mintues for the Unity cache to sync.

After that you should be able to reimport that user as a subscriber again. We filter on that Voice Mail User ID property to determine if the user is already a subscriber or not.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Anonymous
N/A

The call handler was not available in the directory listing so I did run Dohproptest and remove it. I also removed the flag off of his mailbox. Now I am getting the following:

An unrecognized error has occurred.
The new subscriber was not successfully added.

Any ideas?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content