Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Users not in dial by name directory

I've got a Unity 4.0(3) implementation where basically all is working, but I have two users that are not listed in the dial by name directory. I've tried deleting and adding them back, and I have unchecked and checked again the "list in directory" option. The only real difference between them and the other users is that the field "display name" has a ", Jr" in it. When I import from Exchange/AD, obviously I can't change that. Once they are imported, I can change it then, but they still aren't dial-able. Any ideas what could cause this?

Oh, and of course, the two people are the IT director and the CEO. Isn't that nice...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: Users not in dial by name directory

We must be crossing up our terminology between the two of us... the "name dialer" is for outside callers trying to find a user by name - folks without recorded voice names do not appear in this list since we can't confirm the spelled name off a list unless there's a voice name to play.

I suspect you're talking about a subscriber logging in and trying to address a message to another subscriber by spelling their name - this is a different thing - users don't need recorded voice names for that, we confirm with the extension number if a recorded voice name is not found.

Assuming that's the case - can you address to these two users by their extension number? If you switch from name addressing to Id addressing (press ## in the addressing conversation) can you address to them? If not, we have a larger problem. If so then it's definitely something about the spelled name representation there causing problems - we can take a look from there once you confirm what we're looking at here.

8 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Do these users have voice names recorded? This is one of the most common causes of this type of report - only users with recorded voice names will appear in the name lookup handlers for outside callers...

One does, one doesn't. All other users, even if they don't have names recorded (i.e. haven't ever setup their mail box - fairly new install) are listed...

Cisco Employee

We must be crossing up our terminology between the two of us... the "name dialer" is for outside callers trying to find a user by name - folks without recorded voice names do not appear in this list since we can't confirm the spelled name off a list unless there's a voice name to play.

I suspect you're talking about a subscriber logging in and trying to address a message to another subscriber by spelling their name - this is a different thing - users don't need recorded voice names for that, we confirm with the extension number if a recorded voice name is not found.

Assuming that's the case - can you address to these two users by their extension number? If you switch from name addressing to Id addressing (press ## in the addressing conversation) can you address to them? If not, we have a larger problem. If so then it's definitely something about the spelled name representation there causing problems - we can take a look from there once you confirm what we're looking at here.

Basically what I'm talking about here is when a user calls in, hits Auto Attendant, hits "X" for dial-by-name directory. They enter "n" letters of the last name and neither of these two users exists. One of these two pesky users certainly has a recorded name, the other doesn't, but neither are listed.

So, if they haven't set up their mailbox (i.e. recorded a name), they won't be listed? I was not aware of that...that would explain one of them, but not the other.

I'll try the ## listing request tomorrow and will let you know what the deal is then. You going to be around close to the same time tomorrow am?

Thanks

Cisco Employee

Yeah, I'm on PTO (can't you tell) but I always leave a window open to the forum while I'm puttering around so I'll be here tomorrow AM.

The name lookup (directory) handlers in 4.0(x) also allow you to limit the users that are included in the lookups (prior to 4.0(1) it was a single hard coded name dialer with everyone in it) - For the name lookup handler you're talking about, I'm assuming the "Search Options" page is something like "Local Cisco Unity server only" or the like - just checking that another option isn't selected there that's leaving these two accounts out by any chance.

I'd have to say you're the fastest typing vacationer I've ever seen.

I don't actually know which of the search options are set, but I have not made any changes to any of the search option settings, and this is a single Unity server implementation, so I can't imagine that I would have had (or falsely created) reason to change that at any time (of course I could have killed off those brain cells some way and don't remember). That will be one more thing I'll check in the AM.

Hope you are enjoying your vacation (grin)

Loy

Point of clarification...I was talking about the former vs the latter in your description there.

So, now on to what I will now reveal is my dumb arse not paying enough attention. Both of these gentlemen had recorded GREETINGS, but neither had recorded NAMES. One of them has done so since and the other has not....and they are listed accordingly.

I apologize for wasting your time with this (PTO and all).

Thanks for your help.

Cisco Employee

good deal - you're not the first to run into this.

For anyone stumbling across this thread, Subscriber Information Dump has the ability to list out all users who have not yet recorded a voice name just for this type of thing where you want to find out why person X is not showing up in the outside caller name directory...

Views
Helpful
Replies