Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Using G.726 for one phone.

Hello all,

I have a CME system running 3.2 with one remote 7960 phone that is connected to the LAN over a site-to-site VPN. All of the phones one the LAN use G.711 to communicate to CME. This is fine, because our network can handle the 64kbps required. However, the remote phone doesn't have the luxury. I can't use QoS because its over the Internet but I was wondering if its possible to set the router/phone to use G.726 at 32kbps for just this user.

Can anyone provide any info?

Thanks,

Luke

3 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: Using G.726 for one phone.

Hi,

G.726 is not supported on Cisco IP Phones, only G.711 and G.729 are available.

G.729 will need about 32 kbps on the network so it will fit your bandwith needs ok.

You can read about supported codecs on the 7960 here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_data_sheet09186a0080091984.html

Regards.

Your right, I didn't realize that at the time I wrote this post. G.729 would be much better, but neither the article you posted or anything I can find on cisco.com. I would figure that there has to be a way to set the codec for a specific phone.

Views
Helpful
Replies