cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using ViewMail with Terminal Services

jkim
Level 1
Level 1

I recently installed ViewMail for Outlook 3.1(3.0) on a server with Terminal Services running. When I connect to the server through terminal services and connect to Outlook, I am unable to use ViewMail to listen to my voice messages. If I double-click on the voice message, it opens up Windows Media Player and plays the message fine. However, when I try to hit the play button on the ViewMail media bar to listen to the message, it doesn't do anything. Just sits there. All ViewMail playback and recording settings are correct as well as Cisco Unity Server and Extension settings within ViewMail. The version of Outlook being used on the server is Outlook 2000 SR1 with CDO installed.

Any ideas on how to get ViewMail working in a terminal session? Thanks.

4 Replies 4

afuller
Level 4
Level 4

This is a very unusual way of using VMO, although I can think of scenerios where it would need to be done. How are you trying to play the audio: to a phone or over your computer's speakers. The latter won't work as Terminal Services doesn't transport audio to the WTS client. The former should work (as we get media master to call ip phones while attached to Unity via WTS all the time) as long as you've configured the media master options correctly.

There's the down arrow just to the left of the play button. Clicking that will allow you to select playback and record device, as well as the phone you want Unity to call for playback and record. Make sure you put the Unity server's ip address in the server address field on the same popup where you put the phone's extension. And make sure your unity ports are configured to allow media master dial out.

adam

fortunately .net server and the windows xp rdp client allow mapping the audio back to the local sound card. If your terminal server is not a "production server" and is only used by a few people and you must map audio, install .net RC1 and connect to it from an xp pro client and you'll get the sound.

i am able to get audio from the local sound card when using windows media player. that aspect of it seems to be working fine. however, when i try to use viewmail to listen to my messages, it just sits there. i click the play arrow but it doesn't do anything. the play button is not grayed out so it seems like it's ready to play but it just sits there. all the playback device settings and options have been correctly set.

MS does not reccommend using streaming type applications over WTS, which is exactly what the VMO plug-in is.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: