Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Using VPN connection for IP Phones

We have CME 4.0 at central site and VPN tunnels for remote sites. Can I install Cisco 7961G-GE IP phones at remote sites withouth installing CME Router? Will the phones register with CME 4.0 using VPN tunnel connected to the Central site?

Thanks

AD

6 REPLIES

Re: Using VPN connection for IP Phones

I think they will register, but also I think the only configuration supported by CME is Locally attached phones.

So in other words it does not support phones located in different subnet. Is that right?

Thanks

AD

No, I think it is about bandwidth and latency issues, i.e. in CME you don´t have the concept of Locations as in regular CM, which enables you to control bandwidth, as a rudimentary CAC.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Actually with CME 4.0 teleworker remote phone are now supported over WAN, with previsous versions of CME the following restrictions applied:

•Cisco TAC will not handle any voice or signaling issues for remote IP phones, unless the same issue can be replicated for LAN phones.

•E911 or emergency calls are not supported from remote IP phones.

•All calls made to and from remote IP phones must use G.711. Cisco Unified CME does not support the ability to specify G.729 codec for remote IP phones.

•For inbound or outbound calls, remote IP phones cannot fail and go over to a PSTN connection. Remote phones must use the WAN for all calls, even if available bandwidth is not sufficient to guarantee voice quality.

•Remote IP phones do not support Network Address Translation (NAT). All Cisco Unified CME phones must use IP addresses that are can be routed to and from Cisco Unified CME. Remote IP phones must be able to access the IP addresses that are used for all other local and remote phones. On prvisous versions the main obstecles were the following:

•All PSTN access is through the central site only. PSTN termination at the remote site is not supported.

•Cisco Unified CME does not support Call Admission Control (CAC) for remote SCCP phones, so voice quality can degrade if a WAN link is oversubscribed. High-bandwidth data applications used over a WAN can cause degradation of voice quality for remote IP phones.

With 4.0 you can now specify g.729 codec at the ephone level, check out the link for more details:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps4625/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00805b21ba.html#wp1056402

HTH, please rate all helpful posts!

Chris

So how will the Phone register theough the VPN tunnel?

Thanks

AD

Bronze

Yes, as long as there is proper routing the phone will register just fine. Just make sure IP phone gets TFTP address either from DHCP option 150 or manually and that should be it.

The problem will be QoS if you have no control over subnets that VPN tunnel traverses. And maybe bandwidth issue. For some reason I could not make remote phone to use G729 codec. So you maybe it have be forced to use G711. But I have not played with it much.

Views
Helpful
Replies