cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Veritas Differential Backup to Exchange server on Unity server

Leonlei
Level 1
Level 1

I was asked a question about Veritas backup on Unity server. Customer is using Veritas differential back up for Unity server including the transaction log. Sometimes, the size of files that the verification job processed a little bit larger(roughly 50K) than the back up job processed, as result the overall backup process failed.

Since there is 9 ~ 12 minutes gap between the two jobs, maybe someone just leave a new vm to a subscriber during this gap, then the transcation log increased. If so, I think there is no way to restrict caller leave VM, but this should be a very common issue. If veritas has some recovery action when a back up job or a Remote Agent failed?? Here is some log information:

Performing Remote Agent backup

Media Name: "Media created 20/02/2004 11:00:07 PM"

Backup of "\\UNITY\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group "

Backup set #15 on storage media #1

Backup set description: "Cisco IP Telephony - Differential"

Backup Type: DIFFERENTIAL - Logs

Backup started on 21/02/2004 at 12:12:01 AM.

Log files

Backup completed on 21/02/2004 at 12:13:00 AM.

Backed up 0 Exchange Server store(s)

Backed up Exchange Server logs

Processed 188,747,208 bytes in 59 seconds.

Throughput rate: 183.1 MB/min

Verify of "\\UNITY\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group "

Backup set #15 on storage media #1

Backup set description: "Cisco IP Telephony - Differential"

Verify started on 21/02/2004 at 12:22:15 AM.

Log files

Unexpected end of backup set encountered on COMPAQ 6.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Verify completed on 21/02/2004 at 12:22:49 AM.

Verified 0 Exchange Server store(s)

Verified Exchange Server logs

Processed 188,805,238 bytes in 34 seconds.

Throughput rate: 317.8 MB/min

I don't have too much experience on Veritas, so maybe this issue is not so simple like I imaged. Any feedback will be very appreciated.

1 Reply 1

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'm not much of an exerpt on Veritas either, but with respect to preventing new messages during a backup, you can use the "schedule Unity shutdown" tool that ships with Unity (you can always fetch the latest version on www.CiscoUnityTools.com) - I know some sites use this to schedule Unity to go off line before the backup task is scheduled and then have it restart Unity after the backup task is complete (or reboot the server in some cases). Just be sure to allow for enough time between the "shutdown" and "restart" tasks.