cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Veritas Remote with Unity 3.1.5 need Directory Information

ksilva
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Primary Unity 3.1.5, with a Failover. My SQL database in on the RAID5 set(E:) and the \Commserver directory is on the RAID1 Volume D:. The customer has installed Veritas. They backup up the server for the first time byte by byte. A full backup of the system would not be ecomical, so they would like to know what directories to backup. I would assume the \Commserver\Stream Files and the \E:\SQUEL DATA\MSSQL directory, but I can't be sure. I do not have a local copy of Veritas to try it in the lab. Please Advise.

2 Replies 2

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

doing a junkyard "pick and pull" backup will cause you nothing but pain here... there is lots of information in the registry, in configuration files (i.e. switch and integration files) and the like that need to be backed up if you want to ensure your system is running properly after a restore. If you get just SQL and the stream files directory your system will probably not be in a viable state after restore.

We reccomend, and only support, doing full back ups and deltas off of that if you're using a backup system like Veritas- we don't support selective directory backups.

Jeff- Thanks for the info. I had a remote hunch that was what you were going to say. I just have to do some convincing, to the IT department at the customer site.

I appreciate the help.

-Thanks Again

Kalani Silva