Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

VG 224 and FAX

Hello There,

I configured a VG 224 with CallManager 4.2. Gateway itself and all ports are registered with CallManager, but when sending or receiving a Fax, it looks like it can not negotiage with Fax Machine and the output is not readable. Could you please advise what can I do to resolve this issue.

Thanks,

BT

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: VG 224 and FAX

Bahman,

Looking through your configs, you have the following commands in VG224.

mgcp modem passthrough voip mode nse

mgcp fax t38 inhibit

the first command enables fax passthrough for mgcp,

second command disable t38. So your vg224 is configured for Fax passthrough and not t38 fax relay.

You can leave the configs like this on the vg224 and match up the config on the cisco router that is your PSTN gateway. We need to enable the following commands on the router to match up with vg224 settings.

Cisco router - PSTn gateway :

-----------------------------

no ccm-manager fax protocol cisco - (disable cisco fax relay)

mgcp modem passthrough voip mode nse - (enables mgcp modem passthrough)

mgcp fax t38 inhibit - (disables t38)

Cisco Vg224

------------

add this command:

no ccm-manager fax protocol cisco - (disables cisco fax relay)

HTH

Sankar

PS: please remember to rate posts!

12 REPLIES

where are trying to send faxes to ?

are you trying to send fax between fax machines in the same box ?

or

are you trying to send fax machine connected to another vg248,224, fxs or ata ?

or are you trying to send fax to PSTN ?

What kind of gateway configuration have you dont onthe VG224 ? SCCP, or MGCP ?

Are you using T38, or cisco fax relay ? If fax is failing to pstn, i would check if you have enabled fax relay (cisco or t38) on both vg224 and your pstn gateway.

HTH

Sankar

PS: plesae remember to rate posts!

Thanks Sankar,

I am sending Fax to PSTN. The Gateway is configured for MGCP and I am using T38. I am also sending you the VG224 GW configuration.

Thanks,

BT

Bahman,

Looking through your configs, you have the following commands in VG224.

mgcp modem passthrough voip mode nse

mgcp fax t38 inhibit

the first command enables fax passthrough for mgcp,

second command disable t38. So your vg224 is configured for Fax passthrough and not t38 fax relay.

You can leave the configs like this on the vg224 and match up the config on the cisco router that is your PSTN gateway. We need to enable the following commands on the router to match up with vg224 settings.

Cisco router - PSTn gateway :

-----------------------------

no ccm-manager fax protocol cisco - (disable cisco fax relay)

mgcp modem passthrough voip mode nse - (enables mgcp modem passthrough)

mgcp fax t38 inhibit - (disables t38)

Cisco Vg224

------------

add this command:

no ccm-manager fax protocol cisco - (disables cisco fax relay)

HTH

Sankar

PS: please remember to rate posts!

Thanks Sankar,

My problem is resolved. I appreciated your help.

Thanks again,

Bahman

Sankar,

I don't know what happend, but since this morning we have the same issue that we had with FAX send and recieve. When we want to send a fax a message stating send failed appears and in the receivin mode, we receive only a part of the fax and not the whole page. Could you please advise?

Thanks,

BT

Silver

If your config did not somehow revert, check the T1 for slips, this will really trash faxes.

Mary Beth

Thanks Mary Beth,

When I do sh controller t1, I do see some slips. What can I do to get rid of it?

Thanks again,

BT

Thanks,

These Faxing problems are killing me. I have two issues now:

Issue #1 Stand Alone Fax Machines connected via the VG send and receive is working but the connection rate (speed) is very low i.e. 10 Pages is taking ~15 minutes to send.

Issues #2 Fax Server

All of a sudden it just stopped working properly. Only one page gets sent and then the connection is dropped.

Could you please help?

Thanks,

BT

Issue#1 - Are the fax machines connected to the MGCP voice gateway ? (via FXS). If you try to send fax from the same fax machine to a fax machine on the same router or VG248 does that work fast ?

Issue#2 - How is the fax server interfaced to the telco ? Does it have a direct PRI coming into the server ? Or does it do t38 or t37 (over IP)?

Issue #1

Yes the Fax Machines are connected to the MGCP Gateway (via FXS). And yes, when we send fax to the machines connected to the same router it's fast.

Issue #2

The Fax server is connected to the Telco using analog lines. We are using PassThrough mode and not T38 or T37.

Thanks,

BT

I am having a similar problem..

VG224 setup is flaky at best - very similar to this problem. MGCP setup.T38

The PRI is a 2821 as H323 GW.

Pages get cut off on inbound at times, while dialtone isn't availible outbound some times.

I am going to check for a IOS upgrade on the VG224 to see if that will help at all.

Views
Helpful
Replies