cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VG200 and Paging

guckengc
Level 1
Level 1

I need to configure a Vg200 with FXS ports to work with a Bogen intercom system. Im currnetly using CallManager with 7960s and 7910s and I need the ability to page thru this system. I need 4 diferent zones. Can you give some examples of this type of configuration?

Thanks

5 Replies 5

bartm
Level 1
Level 1

Paging Systems usually interface to FXO interfaces. You need a 4 zone unit, which is usually uses DTMF control for Page Zones with speakers hardwired to them.

You will need a FXO interface on a VG200 configured for MGCP as H.323 does not allow inteface by interface control.

Assign a Route Pattern to the gateway's FXO Interface connnected to the paging device. After you dial the pattern you will open the path to the paging system and then you will need to enter DTMF to control the zones on the paging system per the paging system documentation and wiring.

Are you sure its FXO and not FXS? I need to be able to connect to Analog equip not the PSTN.

If the vg200's interface replaces a phone, its a fxo. If it replaces a pbx line or a pstn line, its a fxs. The fxo is current sink (as a phone is), the fxs is a current feed (as a switch is).

It's often best to look at what the port is, not what the connecting device is.

An FXS *PORT* sends dial tone and receives digits. It would be common to connect a fax machine or other analog phone set. And it is my understanding that you would use this also to interface with a paging system.

An FXO *PORT* receives dial tone and sends digits. You would use these ports to plug in standard Plain Old Telephone Service (POTS) lines.

Likewise, I think you could use and FXO port to tie in to a paging system. I was told from a Cisco engineer that it didn't matter - though I have my doubts.

I'll be integrating three paging systems into VG200s in the next few days for a school system. I have available FXO and FXS ports, so one way or other I'll get it to work. I'll report on the success or failure of both types.

pwalenta
Level 1
Level 1

I actually converted to Callmanager from a Norstan with a Bogen paging system. You'll need an FXO port. The Bogen system can be set via dip switch for Loop start or ground start. From the experiences I've had, I'd recommend ground start because the loop start setting seems to hang every now and again (Running 12.1.5T on the VG200). Set up a route pattern like 22.xx, discard the 22. and send the last two digits to the Bogen for the paging zone. If I remember correctly, you'll have one module per zone, up to a maximum of 99.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: