Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

VG248 / 6608 modem connection and garbage

Hi,

Have a issue where using VG248 for modem connections (terminal to dial-up sessions) and it connects but get garbage characters on the screen interrupting login prompts, etc.

The external PRI is on a 6608 gateway. CCM is 4.02a sr2b.

T1s on 6608 are clean and FAX's work fine on VG248 and so do modems for most part except the garbage characters in the connections.

The VG248 was on 1.21 originally and after not finding a real problem with config and trying different things with the configuration, same problems. I updated the VG248 to 1.31 es8.2 (current on CCO) and the problem is reportedly worse now with more garbage.

They can make these calls using a modem on ATA without these problems but want to use the VG248 for these. I know modem s aren't really supported on ATAs.

The 6608 T1s have fax relay disabled, and set for non-IOS gateway type. The VG248 is set to legacy mode and I have disabled fax relay on one of the ports were testing with and it doesn't help.

2 REPLIES
Silver

Re: VG248 / 6608 modem connection and garbage

For the VG248 modem/fax issues, have a look at the following document:"Configure Fax Pass-Through with the Cisco VG248"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/gatecont/ps2250/products_configuration_example09186a008020160d.shtml

Re: VG248 / 6608 modem connection and garbage

Can you try IOS mode on 6608 and VG248 with fax relay disabled ? Also set the mode of the port to restricted..

Views
Helpful
Replies