cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VG248 installation?

dubrennan
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone have any good tips or links about installing the VG248? I am having a difficult time finding any resources on this.

5 Replies 5

amylinit
Level 1
Level 1

It's not like any Cisco device I've ever configured. A few things that I've noted in the few weeks I've been playing with it:

- FTP the image to it rather than TFTP (strange for Cisco)

- Fax Relay doesn't seem to work when the interface to PSTN is a VG200 or 3600 with PRI

- I couldn't get Auto Registration to work, I manually enabled the ports as I needed them

- the VG248 itself is not recognized by CM, CM sees each of the ports as a VGC phone

gary.shaw
Level 1
Level 1

What would you like to know in particular? We've installed quite a few of these devices. We've probably seen most of the issues associated with it, as we were one of the first if not the first to put them on a customer site.

Im afraid I could'nt give you any info with regards to using an IOS router as a gateway, we use WS-6608-E1 blades.

We have stacks of 248's into 3524's Gigibit back to the core Cat6k's.

As for tips Im not sure really, dont enable any ports that you dont want to use as they will always try to register to CM.

Also when applying port specific parameters, dont forget about the range function where you can apply the same settings to a range of ports e.g. 10-32, you dont have to do one at a time.

If you've any questions let me know, myself or tom mckenzie will try to help out.

Gary

This may sound silly, but how do I apply settings to all the ports at once. I don't readily see an opiton to select all/multiple ports.

Go to the telephony/port specific parameters.

Press R then enter a port range say 1-10, this will then apply your changes to those ports.

Did you also know that you can http browse to a VG248 just type in its ip address in your browser, it will show you quite a bit of useful info, it saves having to telnet in if your only viewing information.

Thanks again, this seems to have solved all my problems.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: