cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VG248 to Fax server.... Does it pass DTMF or caller ID?

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I am having a debate until until I can get my VG248 cabled up with another engineer. If I have PRI line coming to my CMM or router, which then routes the DID to a VG248 trunk, will the numbered dialed, DTMF or Caller ID be passed all the way to the analog device????

Traditional PBX's, such as Mitel, I know that I can take the PRI into the switch, then forward the DIDs' to an Analog card. The analog port is plugged into my Rightfax server (brooktrout card, etc) The Rightfax server will "see" the incoming DID and the be able to route the fax to the appropiate inbox.

So can the VG248 do this? I think it can, but I have another engineer saying no.

thanks!!!!

12 Replies 12

But would that be the Caller ID, or the numbered dialed? The fax server would need to the DID incoming to be able to route it correctly... ?

If I were to run a test (in theory) I would use my cell phone and dial the analog port (DID) the fax server would pick up and see the caller ID of my cell phone. The fax server needs to see the numbered dial to reach the analog DID port.

Are you looking for an Analog end point (AKA the RightFax Server using an Analog card) to route a fax based on the Dial number (DNIS). I must have misunderstood what you were asking previously. In that case the VG248 does not provide for or pass DNIS / DID service. I checked my CM config and one of my VG248 configs. In CM you can not assign more than one extension to a VG248 port. You might be able to source or relay DID / DNIS to the fax server with an FXO card from the router.

yeah, that is what I am trying to do. But I think you can in CallManager, create a hunt group and then put the VG248 ports into that group.

If this does not work, can I send the incoming fax directly from the router to the Fax server (if it the fax server supports it)?

That is what we do. We have a TR1034 and simply use the T1 and we route by DID. If you go that route I can give you some additional info and gotches. We are not using T.38 simply modem/fax passthrough.

So you are routing via IP or with the vg248? thanks much!!

We have a 1800 fax number the we have teleco call forward for use a specific DID. We also have a different range of DID's that we assign to individuals. We have translation patterns for the one specific and the DID range point to the RightFax T1. The T1 forwards the called digits on through. Note that all of the T1's are ISDN PRI's The VG248's are primarily used for outbound faxes. In bound to a physical fax machine is a dedicated DID that is assigned to that port on the VG248. So CM controls the call route and it is IP between the router that the incoming T1 is in and the VG248. The VG248 does not come into play with our RightFax server. I am guessing that you have an analog brooktrout card or equal. Not sure if you can get to where you whan to be on that hardware. Post a diagram of what you are attempting to do or resolve.

I was thinking I could create a hunt group like a voicemail on CallManager and point it to the the VG248. So if I had 100DID numbers, a pilot number and 8 analog ports, I could get away with this. (this is how I did it with Mitel and rightfax)

100 DIDs come in from the PRI

Router fowards these number to a pilot number

The pilot number is configured for a hunt group

The hunt group is point to 1-8 ports on the VG248

These 1-8 analog ports are plugged into the Fax server analog board. (brooktrout, etc)

The DNIS would be supplied from the PRI all the way through to the analog port. The fax server would pick up the DNIS from the analog port and be able to route the fax.

Sounds like you have a dedicated PRI into your rightfax and use that for inbound only and then use the VG248 for outbound.

That is correct. I think your scenario is beyond my help sorry. Call and ask TAC or a presales rep.

We have done a few Rightfax integrations with analog ports, we use a router with FXS ports, set to 'forward digits all' - make the router an H323 gateway, and set the pots peers up to match your number range, this is much nicer if the numbers are all in a group, fewer peers. In CM you point a route at the gateway for those numbers.

Mary Beth

k_vishwesh
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

let me clear all of you.

when you are talking about rigt fax server integration with ccm, then your analog gateway will

not come into the picture.

the call flow will be as follows:

Incoming:

PSTN --- VG ( E1 ) -- CCM --- Fax Server

if you are using MGCP as call control then you need

a dedicted E1 between fax server and voice gateway.

then define the route pattern for all the fax number point to this E1.which will throw the call ti fax server.

Incoming calls will be DID enabled.

Outgoing calls:

the fax server will dial the outgoing digits which will be forwaded to CCM over the E1 which is connected Fax server.no additional configuration

need to ccm for outgoing.

i hope this will be clear....

-v

So you are basically setting up your own Point to Point between the fax server and the gateway router. (E1,T1). What I was trying to get around is either to use a Brooktrout analog card (12 ports, etc) or do this setup with IP from the gateway and T38 to the fax server.

You have setup the "poor mans" T1 with out using the local carrier and loops. It's a great idea... if you have an expensive E1 or T1 Brooktrout card for your fax server (large enviroments great, small... not so much)

So let me twist this one everyone....

Would an ATA device be able to carry the dialed number information correctly?

PSTN to gateway

gateway to Callmanager

CallManager to Pilot number

Pilot number to huntgroup

huntgroup to ATA 186 (2 analog lines)

ATA to faxserver

So if I had 10 DID coming in on my PRI into my voice gateway... could CallManager create a pilot number/huntgroup and foward the DIALED number to the ATA 186 device?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: