cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VG248

tim.medley
Level 2
Level 2

Is anyone using a VG248 in production with Call Manager? If so what are you doing with it? Fax? Modem pass through? Analog handset connection?

I have a new site that needs about 12 to 15 analog ports for various needs. I am curious how well it works, and what technologies it works with. A couple of the devices I would need to connect to it are analog handsets (cordless phones), fax machines, modem devices, and possibly a credit card machine.

Anyone doing any of this with a VG248 or another device?

Thanks,

tim

Tim Medley, CCNP+Voice, CCDP, CWNA

Sr. Network Architect

VoIP Group

iReadyWorld

12 Replies 12

gary.shaw
Level 1
Level 1

Honest opinion?

Well we were the first company to use it when it came out....

Like any new product, it had its problems, a few bugs here and there, but doesn't everything.

We installed about over 20 VG248's for the installation, running a variety of faxes and modems.

Its very configurable and a great device in my opinion.

depending on how many you actually need you might look at the ata-186. it is a two port analog adapter. and cost much less then the 248. it will auto register with cm 3.2 the only draw back may be that you have multiple devices to manages.

just my 2 cents

scott

I was a part of an installation of 2 VG248's connecting them to Octel 350's for Voice mail connectivity. It is a excelent product in my opinion with its autoregistration features and SMDI capabilities. It is also very easy to configure and has built in diagnostics.

Jim K

iptnetworkers.com

We have tested the VG248 with analog phones and currenty testing it as a Voicemail gateway. The SMDI link failover is absolutely great. The only problem that I have right now and trying to get it resolved as we speak is the zero out option on our OCTEL 250. This feature used to work when we had VG200 and Callmanager SMDI link to the octel. If anyone knows about the OCTEL's zero-out feature please let me know.

The zero out should work. make sure the VG248 is in "standard mode" and check the calling search space for the ports. Does it make any difference if the call in internal or external. A good trouble shooting technique is to plug in an analog phone where the Octel is and try it manually to find out at what stage the process is breaking. feel free to email me (wwm@cisco.com)

Actually our problem turned out to be with Multicast MOH and the MRGL restriction updates not taking place immideately. After we found out that the current version we run 1.1(2.3.1) does not support Multicast MOH we created a MRGL which does not have access to any MOH resources. We applied this to all our VGC ports but for somereason they kept trying to join. We unconfigured everything, restarted the callmanagers, and reconfigured everything and everything is working fine now.

Any idea when VG248 will support Multicast MOH?

Just a word of caution - modems are not supported on the ATAs.

jcmartin
Level 1
Level 1

I just installed one for a site with multiple fax machines, and once we got the latest version of code from TAC, it worked great. BUT, it shipped with the original 1.1.2, and some serious improvements have been implemented since then.

What is the new version? I just searched the software center and 1.1.2 is still the current one.

I was just given 1.1.2(27) by TAC, but had to get it from them. It wasn't available for general download.

The next version will be v1.2(1) and is expected to ship to CCO in December.

rchapee
Level 1
Level 1

The VG248 works great. I used it for a voice response system. I have also used the HDA module. That might work better for you if you have less than 16 ports. It is not a standalone like the VG248 so you need to have an open NM in your gateway.

*** www.iptnetworkers.com ***