Helpful
Replies

VIC2-2BRI NT/TE - link going down

branko
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have VIC2-2BRI NT/TE on router 2801.

If there are no calls for some time, the interfaces are going down, and none outbound call can't be placed.

Only when inbound call is placed, the link is going up, and everything is working 'till next time.

Does anybody know what could be the reason?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Branko,

I agree with phershaw. We recently had problems with 3 BRI's that we use for Video Conferencing backup. When the Telco was on site for testing the Tech indicated that the BRI's are set into "sleep mode" during periods of inactivity. We had to come up with a method to "wake" them up before they could be used successfully. He also indicated that this is expected behaviour as BRI's are not sold as 24-7 type circuits.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Please rate all helpful posts.....

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

did you check for show isdn status while the interface goes down ? and also the did you try manual dialing thru that isdn port ?

Also is the isdn port configured to accept both dial in and dial outs ??

if possible do post out the configs with ips and passwords masked ..

regds

phershaw
Level 1
Level 1

The telco switch may deactivate L2 after a period of inactivity.

Try configuring "isdn tei-negotiation first-call" under the BRI interfaces. This should activate the line when an outbound call is made.

Phil

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Branko,

I agree with phershaw. We recently had problems with 3 BRI's that we use for Video Conferencing backup. When the Telco was on site for testing the Tech indicated that the BRI's are set into "sleep mode" during periods of inactivity. We had to come up with a method to "wake" them up before they could be used successfully. He also indicated that this is expected behaviour as BRI's are not sold as 24-7 type circuits.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Please rate all helpful posts.....

Thank You all, this really solve my problem.

f.kramo
Level 1
Level 1

I remember i've got a similar problem sometimes ago on the same router and on my 3825 router too.

But the difference is that the VIC2-2BRI NT/TE remains up until i place calls. The first call goes through one port of the interface, and after that, this port changes state to down. The second call uses the second port of the interface, and after goes down. then i can no more place calls. But i can receive calls from PSTN, and just before, the interfaces change state to UP. And i can place two other calls again and the same problem occur.

To issue this problem, i entered the command

" isdn transition-delay 1" at each BRI interface

And things now go well.

But i would like to get more information about this command, if you can help me

marckalex
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Try this cmd in global config : no dial-peer outbound status-check pots

^_^ work fine

See ya

By Marck

I have this problem for so long, and until now your solution is working.

Thanks

We have the exact problem with the same BRI VICs but in Cisco 3825. For the last two weeks, it seems like it has been working so far when we added this command "no dial-peer outbound status-check pots" two weeks ago.

Just wonder what is this "isdn transition-delay 1"? Can't find any reference for this command??? Thank you in advance.