Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VIC2-2BRI problem

Hi,

I need help regarding problem i'm having with ISDN BRI cards.

The problem is from time to time L1 link goes down between PBX and Cisco 2801 with VIC2-2BRI cards. Problem is not related to a specific type of PBX or just one PBX, but this happens very frequently now, on multiple sites.

I've managed to find several workaround solutions, but they are far from final.

1. If i'm using new cards (BRI) and setting a new site, I can't get the cards to go up, that is OK light won't come up, unless I connect straight cable in BRI card, and on the other side connect (short circuit) pins 3,4 and 5,6, make a loop. And here is the "tricky" part, if I don't do shut, no shut cards won't come up, or reload the router and connect cable to card before interfaces come up.

2. On existing sites link just goes down, all by itself, in that case all that helps is to put the cards in another slot, and use the above method. Cables stay the same, cards and router also, IOS also.

I really don't see the problem here!

Has anyone had any similar experiences?

Thanks

Regards,

Damir

7 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: VIC2-2BRI problem

Is the PBX set to bring layer 1 down during periods of inactivity? If you make a call from the PBX into the router does Layer 1 come up?

-Felipe

Hi,

No I have few locations that function in that way, but here this is not the case.

If i debug on layer 2 debug isdn q921, i can only see messages from the router to PBX, not other way around.

Regards,

Damir

Cisco Employee

Damir,

Can you provide debugs that show the transition from a working to non-working state? How long does it take to reoccurr? I've seen similar issues when there is a interop issue between the BRI interface and the BRI modem.

-Felipe

Hi,

Unfortunately, I don't see the actual transition, it would help me also.

This is only thing i've found in logs.

Nov 18 10:49:47: ISDN BR0/2/0 **ERROR**: handle_l2d_srq_mail: Layer 1 inactive
Nov 18 10:49:50: ISDN BR0/2/0 Q931: L3_ShutDown: Shutting down ISDN Layer 3
Nov 18 10:49:51.042 CET: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface BRI0/2/0, changed state to down

But from this I can't see that much...

Thing is this happens more when you are using new cards, or existing somewhere else.

Normal cards light up OK when they are going through POST, it tells you that the card is recognized and working. B1 and B2 channels (lights) don't light of course.

More and more I think this a bug...

P.S. sorry I can't provide more errors, but this is only thing that happens, that's way it's strange!

Regards,

Damir

Cisco Employee

If you'd like to test the card, create a BRI crossover cable and connect the two ports back to back. Instructions on how to create the cable and the configuration can be found in the following document.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk653/technologies_configuration_example09186a008010ef6c.shtml

-Felipe

Hi Felipe,

I've already tried that, and the card is ok...

Regards,

Damir

Cisco Employee

Damir,

The next step is to setup debugging to capture when the issue occurs.

I would advise using a local syslog server and collect the following debugs,

debug isdn q921
debug isdn events

The following configuration needs to be added to the router to enable logging to a syslog server,

service timestamp log datetime msec

service timestamp debug datetime msec

service sequence-number

no logging monitor

no logging console

no logging rate-limit

no logging queue-limit

logging

logging trap debug

Views
Helpful
Replies