Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Video conference - promise vs reality

I'm looking for some practical advice - we have a central corporate office in CA and remote offices in Houston and Singapore. We also plan a London operation in 02. Can anyone recommend a video/voIP solution that allows real conversation/interaction and not just frozen images and dropped connections?

3 REPLIES

Re: Video conference - promise vs reality

After much heartache we have adopted a solution for what you seem to want to do.

We installed Polycom FX videoconference systems in our offices here in DC and in London. We use a 512Kbps IP video over VSAT link. It works perfectly, very little packet loss, which provides us "business" quality video, much to the disbelief of a lot of folks in our company. We are also saving a small fortune on ISDN charges!

We are also using (though limited) VoIP solution over VSAT to our London office.

Hope that helps some?

What VSAT company do you use?

We have about 10 Polycom Viewstation 128's in 10 offices around the U.S. and an Ezenia Encounter 3000 bridge. We do IP video through our frame at 320K with good business video and very good audio. Fairly reliable if you can get the users to follow the rules of video conf. etiquette.

We use our own satellite over the AOR. I don't know what our sales force could sell the transponder for but we're using it for a E1 pipe and are saving about $5 to $7K per month on ISDN charges. Fastest ROI on any product, I've ever seen!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content