Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Viewmail doesn't dial "phone" or switch audio

I installed Viewmail (Outlook 2000). When I try to dial a phone extension (extension listed as 4150 and the Call Manager listed as 10.224.1.8 (it's IP address), I get:<br><br>Viewmail says "Unknown problems are preventing it from working" (defaulting to phone)<br><br>Also I cannot switch it to my laptop audio (ESS Maestro) for audio playback... if I check that box it doesn't stick and always stays on phone.<br><br>---<br>Lenny Tropiano, Sr. Network Manager // <Lenny_Tropiano@vtel.com><br>VTEL Corporation, 108 Wild Basin Rd, Austin, Texas 78746<br>512-437-2681 (voice)<br>512-426-9349 (digital PCS) -or- <pager-lenny@vtel.com>

3 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Viewmail doesn't dial "phone" or switch audio

The message says either "unknown problems are preventing the connection to the server" or "unknown problems are preventing the completion of the call". Depending on which it is indicates very different avenues of investigation.

can you check the specific error text for me?

so on the media master control in your view mail form (the VCR looking thing), when you hit the down arrow and select recording devices or playback devices, do you only see three entries there (, phone, your sound card) or are there more? When you select the sound card it flips back to phone automatically? That's odd... does your local media play via another application such as the sound recorder? Does this do the same thing for recording device and playback device?

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Anonymous
N/A

It says specifically:

"Unknown problems are preventing the connection to the server"

Viewmail works fine on my other systems with different sound cards for the audio playback or recording; but still not the phone. I spoke to Cisco TAC and they wanted me to see if Dell had updated ESS Maestro drivers. I haven't checked yet. It does the same thing for the recording device too... never moves the "check mark" to the ESS Maestro.

Sound works fine though on that laptop... strange.

FYI: I only see Preferred, Phone and ESS Maestro.

---
Lenny Tropiano, Sr. Network Manager //
VTEL Corporation, 108 Wild Basin Rd, Austin, Texas 78746
512-437-2681 (voice)
512-426-9349 (digital PCS) -or-

Anonymous
N/A

That error message indicates the client is not even properly connecting up with the server (i.e. it's not even getting a chance to look you up as a subscriber and initiate a dialout etc...).

Can you pop open a dos box and ping the Unity server by name from that client? The most common cause of that problem is some sort of DNS issue or a misconfigured WINS file etc...

Are you coming across a domain boundary?

This doesn't happen to be a Win95 client or something does it? Doubt it, but I have to ask... if so you may need to install DCOM libraries on the system (we use DCOM to connect the media mater control to the voice server).

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content