cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ViewMail playback/record problem

jsailers
Level 1
Level 1

When trying to use phone as playback device in Viewmail for Outlook, I get the following error message: “Access was denied when connecting to the voice server. To use the telephone you must be logged into windows using the account associated with your subscriber account.”<br><br>I have verified that I'm logged in to my PC with the correct username.<br><br>I'm using Unity 3.0, and the ViewMail software that came with Unity 3.0.<br><br>As a side note, when I'm logged in directly to the Unity Server, the phone works fine on playback when in Unity administrator, playing a call-handler or subscriber greeting through the media master control bar.<br><br>

13 Replies 13

Not applicable

Are there multiple domains at play here? Can you open up the active assistant web page (or the SA for that matter) from a client machine having this trouble? If the client is logged into a different domain and there's a one way trust or something along those lines, the media master isn't going to be able to map that account to a subscriber accurately on the Unity server. The SA/AA will have the same issue but you can turn on manual login and provide the domain, login and PW of an account Unity will recognize for that. The master has no such "manual authentication" over ride capability.

If that's not the issue, let me know...

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

I have confirmed that we are in a single domain and that I am logged into the client machine with the exact same account my exchange mailbox is configured for? Is that what it looks for... Since our Unity subscribers are based on exchange users, which have an NT account associated with them, is that what the Media Master looks at (that is, the NT account associated with the Users, exchange mailbox)? When I open the SA or AA sites on the same client PC, it initially lets me in, but then it prompts me to login with my NT credentials. When I do so, it just brings the same prompt back up again.

All of this worked prior to me upgrading from 2.4 to 3.0.

Not applicable

If the SA/AA is prompting you for login then the account credentials from that workstation you're hitting the Unity server with does not directly map to a subscriber. There should be no difference in how this works for 2.x and for 3.x since the authentication for the SA/AA is actually done through IIS, not Unity directly. The token from the account requesting the page is passed to us, we look that user up in the directory, see if they map to an Exchange account, if the Exchange account maps to a subscriber, we see if their COS allows access etc and we go from there.

If the credentials we're getting don't match an Exchange account that is a subscriber, things will break down and you'll need to authenticate. Unity isn't doing anything tricky here and we haven't changed this methodology since 2.3.

Did anything at all change in your configuration around the time of the 3.x upgrade?

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

I understand how the process works now based on your last post, and it seems that IIS is authenticating me correctly because it brings up my AA page fine, but then, later it is asking me to authenticate again. This makes me think that Unity isn't able to authenticate me correctly with the token that is sent from IIS. However, I've checked everything in the process (i.e. I checked my subscriber account in Unity to find out where it shows my Exchange home server - it shows the correct one; I checked my exchange account to make sure it is using the correct NT account - it is; I checked the Event Viewer, and I can't find any events relating to the failed authentication attempts) I can't figure out any reason why Unity wouldn't be able to authenticate me correctly.

I don't remember changing anything in Unity when I upgraded, but there may have been some problems with the data migration involving moving subscriber accounts and call handlers, etc... The reason I think there may be a problem is that I have an orphaned user who has an exchange account, and who was a Unity subscriber before the upgrade, but after the upgrade, he didn't show up as a user, nor does he show up when trying to add an existing exchange user. Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Not applicable

This wouldn't have anything to do with orphaned users or the migration process or the like. This is a case where the Media Master DCOM control is simply not getting a token that corresponds to a user properly for some reason or another.

the media master uses DCOM to authenticate and it can't handle getting a token from another domain... this is the most common problem for the scenario you're talking about (i.e. you get into AA and when you access a page with the MM on it you have to authenticate again). I've never seen another scenario like this. If all users and the Unity server are, indeed, part of one big happy domain I have no idea why this would be happening at all.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

This is our scenario exactly as it applies:
My NT user account is Justconnect\jeff.sailers.
The Unity server is Justconnect\Unity01.
The Exchange server is Justconnect\Exchange01.
My mailbox alias is jeff.sailers.
The PC I'm trying to access AA and my viewmail form is Justconnect\Intelisys3321.
Exchange and Unity are both member servers in the Justconnect domain.

So, we are all in the same domain. Is there a way to work through the flow of authentication and figure out where in the process it's failing?

One thing to check would be the server name that is stored on the client. On the left hand side of the Media Master there is a down arrow that shows some menu options. Click on the arrow and choose the "Options..." item to view the "Phone Record and Playback Settings" and verify that the server name is correct. If the server has changed names during the upgrade, that would explain the problem.

I checked the server name, and it is correct. The name of the server has never changed, even during the upgrade.

I'm at a loss here. It seems that the DCOM function isn't authenticating something correctly, but I don't know anythng obout that.

One thing to note is that I have none of these problems while logged into the server itself. Does anyone have an idea of what I can check next?

Not applicable

the only thing I can suggest is to make sure you can ping the server name as shown in the mm control from the client in question and/or try the IP address. I've never seen anything like this that didn't turn out to be some weird DNS issue. If that's not the case, I'm at a loss as well.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

I've having the same problem. Since upgrading from 3.0(3) to 3.1(2) my users can not listen to the voicemail over the phone from Outlook. The can pipe the sound to their soundcard/speakers or check directly from the phone, but using the phone as the playback device yields "Unknown problems are preventing the completion of the call."

I think I'm ok now. I had made a bunch of changes to CM over the weekend in prep for 3.2, I think I left out one final reboot of Unity. I just did that and playback to phone seems to be working now.

Jim

I am having the same issue. There is one domain here, I have the IP address under the options tab and I am getting the same error. I have tried rebooting Unity to see if the problem goes away but to no avail.

Unity 3.1.4 with Exch 2k. Let me know what information you need and I will send it.

I also have the same problem after upgrading unity from 3.1.3 to 3.1.5. Unity and exchange 2k are in the same domain.

I logged in to windows on a workstation with a local account, after that I start windows web explorer and put in my domain credentials (same domain as the unity) when I access the unity web/sa page.

This works fine but when I open the subscriber page windows ask me to put in my credentials again but could not authenticate my account.

So the only option is to cancel this popup window to get the subscriber page with media master buttons greyed out.

Could this have something to do with policy settings?

Hope you can give me some advice.

Cheers,

Cas

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: