Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

'VM Pilot' & 'Hunt Pilot'. What's the difference ?

Hello,

Have CUCM 6.x. Try to make a VM integration with CUC 2.x.

Have a question about difference between two CUCM's logical primitives.

1. The first one is 'VM Pilot'

Doc CUCM 6.x Administration Guide says that:

a) It designates the DN that is dialed to access voice messages

b) CUCM dials it when phone Messages button is pressed.

c) Each pilot number can belong to a different voice-messaging system

2. Another one is 'Hunt Pilot' (in terms of VM usage)

Doc CUCM 6.x Administration Guide says that:

a) It comprises a string of digits and a set of digit manipulations that route calls to a hunt list

My questions are:

1) What is the difference between these terms ?

2) Are 'VM Pilot' and 'Hunt Pilot' are the same DN (in terms of VoiceMail usage) ?

2) Can I define only HuntPilot (for Voicemail usage) without specifying VM Pilot ? Will it be workable VM configuration ?

I also can add, that in my lab I've added the same DN value for both 'VM Pilot' and 'Hund Pilot'. CUCM does not say anything :)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Red

Re: 'VM Pilot' & 'Hunt Pilot'. What's the difference ?

Hi Tobivan,

Hope all is well my friend :)

You are completely on the right track here! The VM Pilot is also configured as a Hunt Pilot so they are the same DN in this argument. The Voicemail Pilot # is a unique DN configured for the integration between CCM and UC and is really just a "special" Hunt Pilot. In most (if not all) cases there is only one Voicemail Pilot number per system unless you have multiple VM System integrations. Don't forget that this is the number that is reached when pressing the Messages Button from the IP Phone so you can't just have the Hunt Pilot portion of this config. The VM Pilot is also used when using the Call Forward checkboxes from a Directory number config page.

To Add a Voice Mail Pilot Number for the Voice Mail Ports

The voice mail pilot number is the extension that you dial to listen to your voice messages. Your Cisco IP phone automatically dials the voice mail pilot number when you press the Messages button.

Step 1  In the Cisco Unified CallManager Administration, click Feature > Voice Mail > Voice Mail Pilot.

Step 2  On the Find and List Voice Mail Pilots page, click Add a New Voice Mail Pilot.

Step 3  On the Voice Mail Pilot Configuration page, enter the following voice mail pilot number settings.

Voice Mail Pilot Number

Enter the voice mail pilot number that subscribers will dial to listen to their voice messages. This number must be the same as the hunt pilot number that you entered when adding voice mail ports earlier.

Description

Enter Cisco Unity Pilot or another description.

Calling Search Space

Click the calling search space that includes partitions containing the subscriber phones and the partition you set up for the voice mail pilot number.

Make This the Default Voice Mail Pilot for the System

Check this check box.

When this check box is checked, this voice mail pilot number replaces the current default pilot number.

Step 4  Click Insert.

Hope this helps!

Rob

1 REPLY
Hall of Fame Super Red

Re: 'VM Pilot' & 'Hunt Pilot'. What's the difference ?

Hi Tobivan,

Hope all is well my friend :)

You are completely on the right track here! The VM Pilot is also configured as a Hunt Pilot so they are the same DN in this argument. The Voicemail Pilot # is a unique DN configured for the integration between CCM and UC and is really just a "special" Hunt Pilot. In most (if not all) cases there is only one Voicemail Pilot number per system unless you have multiple VM System integrations. Don't forget that this is the number that is reached when pressing the Messages Button from the IP Phone so you can't just have the Hunt Pilot portion of this config. The VM Pilot is also used when using the Call Forward checkboxes from a Directory number config page.

To Add a Voice Mail Pilot Number for the Voice Mail Ports

The voice mail pilot number is the extension that you dial to listen to your voice messages. Your Cisco IP phone automatically dials the voice mail pilot number when you press the Messages button.

Step 1  In the Cisco Unified CallManager Administration, click Feature > Voice Mail > Voice Mail Pilot.

Step 2  On the Find and List Voice Mail Pilots page, click Add a New Voice Mail Pilot.

Step 3  On the Voice Mail Pilot Configuration page, enter the following voice mail pilot number settings.

Voice Mail Pilot Number

Enter the voice mail pilot number that subscribers will dial to listen to their voice messages. This number must be the same as the hunt pilot number that you entered when adding voice mail ports earlier.

Description

Enter Cisco Unity Pilot or another description.

Calling Search Space

Click the calling search space that includes partitions containing the subscriber phones and the partition you set up for the voice mail pilot number.

Make This the Default Voice Mail Pilot for the System

Check this check box.

When this check box is checked, this voice mail pilot number replaces the current default pilot number.

Step 4  Click Insert.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Views
Helpful
Replies