Views
Helpful
Replies

VMO & WAV Questions

stephen.trimble
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

When composing a 'new Voice Message' in Outlook, you can record the message and enter text into the email body window. When playing the received message (dialed in via phone) you can only hear the recorded WAV and don't have the option to listen to any plain text entered....?

Secondly, is it possible to compose a new email, attach a G711 encoded WAV, then when that message is received play the WAV through the phone? I can only get to listen to any text in the mail...

These options may not be possible, just need clarification :-)

I'm using 4.0(3) and the (b) version of VMO with Outlook 2003,

Many thanks

4 Replies 4

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello -

I think I can address your question - voice messages have a different message class than email messages. A voicemail message, message class ipm.note.voice.unity, is processed by Telephone Record and Playback or by the user's PC speakers (VMO or Media Player); whereas the email message class, ipm.note, is processed by the Text-to-speech engine. Compound messages as you described in your post are definitely supported. But TRAP/VMO/Media Player will only play the voice portion of the message and TTS will only read the email text portion of the message.

Regards,

Ginger

vharsha
Level 3
Level 3

The answer to your second question:

You HAVE to use the VMO form for Unity to recognize it as a Unity Voice Mail. Even with the VMO form, you have to use the embedded MediaMaster control to attach the wav file. If you insert the wav file using the Outlook Insert menu, Unity will not recognize it as a Unity Voice Mail.

Thanks to both of you for the explanation..

A final question: Is it possible for a message to have multiple classes (voice and email)? Then, when a user dials in they are informed that the message contains both txt and voice and the seperate parts are played back...

I am trying to win over a customer to Unity at the moment and their "current system" does this, so was wondering if anyone knew if Unity could too...

Thanks in advance

Unfortunately, this is not curently supported. A message cannnot have multiple classes, but you can have a voice mail with multiple attachments (like audio, text, document etc). Unity will play the audio and just announce that there are other attachments. I would suggest putting in a PERS request, so it gets picked up for a future release.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: