Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

'voice-class codec' not working between CCME and Gatekeeper

There was a similar post but solution didn't fix my issue.

I have CCME registered with gatekeeper and CallManager registered with gatekeeper. The CallManager Trunk is using G729 and on the CCME router, I have:

voice-class codec 1

codec pref 1 g729r8

codec pref 2 g711ulaw

With gatekeeper bandwidth at 16k (enough for 1 g729 call), from CallManager to CCME, it works every time using g729. I verified this on the phones themselves as well as with 'show gatekeeper call'.

From CCME to CallManager, fast busy every time unless I take the 'codec preference 2 g711ulaw' command. Then it works every time.

I've triple checked that the CCM IP Phone is using G729 to the CCM Trunk. The Trunk is in it's own Device Pool with it's on Region and that Region talks G729 to ALL other Regions...even within it's own region.

What's interesting is making bandwidth enough for g711 call (128k on gatekeeper). It completes the call obviously but if you look at the codec during the live call, it's using g729. Doing a 'show gatekeeper call' verifies this as well as just looking at the IP phone stats.

Doing a 'debug h225 event' and 'asn1', you can see a line containing 'bandwidth 1280'. I'm assuming it's trying to negotiate at 128k to start with.

Another caveat is caller-id. I have the following:

telephony-service

dialplan 1 7703013... extension-length 4

When calling from CCME ext. 3000 to CallManager ext. 1000, the CCM phone obviously displays the full e.164 10-digit calling-number. So to get caller-id to show 3000 instead of 7703013000, I created a translation-rule:

translation-rule 1

rule 0 ^7703013... 3

dial-peer voice 10 voip

translate-outgoing calling 1

When calling extension 1000 now, the calling number actually displays 3000 like I want it....while 1000 is ringing. As soon as 1000 picks up handset, the calling number changes back to 7703013000 on the 1000 phone. So while on the call, they see 10-digit number instead of 4-digit internal number.

Any ideas?

2 REPLIES
Silver

Re: 'voice-class codec' not working between CCME and Gatekeeper

Make sure the you have configured the correct codec complexity in your voice card level configuration. Negotiation may fial due to this too.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk1077/technologies_tech_note09186a00800b6710.shtml

Bronze

Re: 'voice-class codec' not working between CCME and Gatekeeper

Hello,

When CCME tries to call during the call setup GK assigns a bandwidth of 128K and after the codec negotiation it will fall backto 16 kbps.This the way CAC works.Please see the below document.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk1077/technologies_white_paper09186a00800c5f67.shtml

So for the call to go through you need to have minimum of 128Kbps in the bandwidth command

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Radhika

Views
Helpful
Replies