Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cisco Employee

Voice/Fax DID are same

Is there any likelyhood that an enhancement to Unity could be provided that would allow a fax tone to be detected when the call is forwarded from CCM due to a no-answer? This would allow the use of a single DID and require Unity to detect and process fax. The goal is to avoid the use of an on-ramp gateway or use a voice gateway connected to a fax board in the Unity server. Thanks for any insight!<br><br>Dave Cronberger<br><br>Cisco Systems<br>Systems Engineer

6 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Voice/Fax DID are same

Hi Dave

The feature you talk about I refer to as “CNG detection” and it is on the feature request list that the marketing folks have. There’s actually a few things that would need to be done on both AV and Cisco’s side of the house to make this fly right.

1. The Cisco gateway needs to recognize fax tone, which I believe at least some do.
2. The gateway needs to send a message to the AvCiscoTSP indicating a fax tone was received.
3. The AvCiscoTSP would need to send a message to the MIU (AV’s Media Interface Unity).
4. The MIU would pass that tone event up to the Unity conversation which would then act on it.

In short that’s a change in the Skinny protocol, the AVCiscoTSP, our MIU and the conversations.

The MIU and conversation changes I’d like to see be made regardless since this is a pretty common request across the boards. The new Dialogic stuff does support fax tone detection/notification (which is why this feature is on the list being considered by marketing). I can’t speak to the changes on Cisco’s side necessary to make this happen.

Basically the way I have it speced out on the administration side is a new “key” would be added to the “user input” section for subscribers and call handlers… in addition to 0-9, * and # there would be CNG. When that event triggers you could route it anywhere you want… either to a fax machine or to a port on a fax server or wherever. This could be used in conjunction with the "Smart DTMF follow on" capabilities to route directly to an inbox if the fax server being used by the site had an Exchange gateway as well.

I’m not sure when this is going to bubble up on the priority list for us, but I’d like to see it happen. As usual, please be sure to ping the ‘Features@ActiveVoice.com’ mailbox and let them know you’d like to see this happen. I'm not sure who to ping on the Cisco side of the house for feature requests like this...

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect
Active Voice
jlindborg@activevoice.com
http://members.home.net/jlindborg

Cisco Employee

Hello Jeff,

Thanks!! I will forward this as a request to the mail alias. Is CNG here comfort noise?

Dave

Cisco Systems
Systems Engineer

Anonymous
N/A

No CNG is fax tone detection.

Cheers!
John.

Anonymous
N/A

Here's a very "high-level" idea that I would like to bounce off everyone guys:

Here's an idea of a process:
1) ISDN Gateway that supports CNG (ie: 36xx with NM-HDV)
2) Gateway detects CNG and forwards call to the users 'virtual' extension assigned to him/her (A fake extension in Call Manager)
3) Call Manager forwards this call out an analog gateway (ie: FXS ports on VG200) AND appends certain DTMF digits onto the end.
4) The VG200 ports are connected to ActiveFax via analog fax board (ie: CPI-400PCI) which supports DTMF routing.
5) Fax deposited in appropriate users mailbox based on DTMF routing.

This is just a thought, and might be totally off base. Although if there is no obvious 'gotchas' with this, I plan on testing this as soon as our faxboard arrives next week.

Cheers!
John.

Anonymous
N/A

This is a perfectly valid work around and in fact looks pretty similiar to what we have to do with switches that don't support DID translation into DTMF (and the sites don't want to cough up for DID lines).

Couple of things that can bite you here... the timing is tricky. If you're releasing to a hunt group of analog fax extensions you may have a wait till you get to an open line and if that window is too big you'll start blasting DTMF down before the analog fax line has picked up and is "listening" for DTMF. You can (and probably will have to) configure the fax driver to wait longer than the default 5 seconds to get DTMF information for this reason...

Also, you have to be careful about answering incoming fax calls without knowing if you have a fax resource to handle it properly or not. If you guys go off hook, then are going to turn around and drop the call to a hunt group of analog lines, if there are no lines available to take the call, you'll drop it. If the sending party is a fax server, most of the time it assumes this was a (now annoyed) human that picked up the phone and it wont deliver any more faxes to that number. That's bad. So long as you're sure you have more than enough analog lines to handle the traffic, this is cool, but be sure to take that into consideration.

Outside of that, there's no reason this can't work.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect
Active Voice
jlindborg@activevoice.com
http://members.home.net/jlindborg

Anonymous
N/A

Thanks Jeff. I'm deffinately going to give it a try, specifically using a Cisco 3660 router providing both PRI and FXS ports. I'll be digging into the IOS to see if there are either any timing, or 'offhook' detection abilities with this config.

Cheers!
John.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content