cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Voice Mail cut off

cplatt01
Level 1
Level 1

I am getting some complaints that users' voice mail is being cut off in mid sentence. Any suggestions on what setting could be causing this?

8 Replies 8

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

We'll need some more information before we can start guessing what the problem might be here.

Unity version? Switch configuration? Any information about which calls this happens on (internal external, cell phones, particular callers, particular recipients)? Can you reproduce it?

It could be something like how much silence we're configured to accept before figuring the caller has stopped talking - there are two settings for this - one for short messages and one for longer messages (figuring that after you talked for a minute you may be pausing longer here and there). This is on the "recordings" page in the configuration section of the SA under "stop recording on how many seconds".

It could also be related to volume issues where an outside call coming in was too quiet and it was detected as silence or the like.

but again, we're shooting in the dark without a little more detail on your system and the details of the problem.

In addition to what Jeff mentioned, one of the first things to find out is if the caller that was cut-off was prompted, or were they hung up on.

network
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am having a similar problem. We recently upgraded from Unity 2.4.5 to version 3.1.5. With that, we upgraded from an analog card to a digital (T1) card. Now, occasionally people will be cut off in mid sentence. I have "upped" the "Short Recording" and "Long Recording" times to 20 seconds each, but the problem still happens intermitently.

Additionally, at times the message will reach the subscriber, and the beginning of the message was cut off (I am guessing the first second or two of the message).

What I have noticed is that it is almost exclusively females that are being cut off. I think that it is not hearing the softer voices. Can I adjust the sensitivity in Unity, or is it something that must be configured on the PBX?

Thanks for any help!

Unity 3.1.5

Windows 2000 SP2

SQL 2000 SP2 (post sp2 hotfix)

NEAX 2400 PBX

Dialogic 240PCI-T1

David Williams

Watchtower

The recording can be terminated (cutting off the caller) in a few different ways. The adjustment that could be made depends upon whether the callers are being prompted or disconnected. Is there any information you have whether they are prompted or not?

Yes, sorry I did not clarify that. The users are being prompted, not cut off. They hear the standard "press 1 for ...." It acts like it thought they stopped talking.

When it is cutting the beginning of the recorded message, though, I don't think it is giving a prompt. Here is what happens: Someone will send a message, the subscriber opens the message, and it begins in mid-sentence. It is like it started recording late.

Do you think these two problems could be related, or are they different issues.

Thanks again!

David Williams

I found a section in the troubleshooting guide (url below) that said we may need to adjust our Dialogic Quiet Parameter (quiet50.prm). Is this information for analog cards only, or will it work with T1 cards as well? We are using a Dialogic 240PCI-T1 card.

Thanks!

David Williams

Watchtower

url to troubleshooting guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/prod_troubleshooting_guide_chapter09186a008011a5ba.html#xtocid11

Geting prompted and not getting prompted when the callers are getting cut off are two completely separate issues. If they are getting prompted, you are likely running into a situation where Unity thinks the caller has stopped talking when they have really not. For that issue, the quiet paramter is something to try. If for whatever reason Dialogic thought a DTMF was detected, the callers would get prompted in the same way. The only way to know the difference between the two, would be to set traces. However, it is much more common to have a silence detection issue rather than a false DTMF detection issue.

For the callers that are not getting prompted, it's going to be a bit harder to find. The reasons include OPS-FX loop drop signal sent from the PBX, or disconnect tone recognition. Unfortunately, for those two cases, setting Unity traces won't do a lot of good; we won't be able to tell the difference. Out of curiosity, can you post the switch file?

Hello,

Thanks for the information. We will try the quiet parameter.

I am sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by "post the switch file". Do you mean: What kind of switch do we have? We are using a NEAX 2400.

Thanks again!

David