cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Voice Mail Dropouts

vcornett
Level 1
Level 1

Unity 2.4.6.102<br>TSP 1.0.0.28<br>CM 3.0(10)<br><br>We are experiencing a problem with some voice mails that have dropouts in them. Some are severe enough such that the voice mail is unintellegible. The only thing that has changed on the Unity server prior to this starting to occur a few weeks ago, was the installation of the quiet prompts. Is it possible that this could be causing the problem? <br><br>I have not be able to determine very much other than<br>1)It is random and does not happen with great frequency<br>2) A majority of the garbled voice mails are external callers coming in throuhg a 3662 gateway with a PRI interface to the PSTN.<br>3) I have not received any complaints that an IP phone call placed through the gateway or an external call coming in that is answered have experienced dropouts.<br>4)There are have been no network problems at the time the voice mails were left.<br><br>This is a diffucult problem and I hope you can provide some insight.<br><br>Thanks,<br>Vince<br><br><br><br>

6 Replies 6

Not applicable

I'm not sure what you mean by "dropouts"... is this clipping (i.e. the volume is louder than the max record level and you can't understand it) or dropping off the record mid way (i.e. it sounds as though the user hung up mid sentence)?

The prompts being used shouldn't have any bearing at all on the recording of messages... the audio format does, however... what are you using on inbound calls? Is it all 711 or do some calls coming in attach at 729 and some at 711 depending on the path?

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

What I mean by dropouts is missing syllables, parts of words etc. It is just missing audio. It is not clipping due to "hot" audio levels. I am going to send you a sample of what is happening.

All of the audio paths in our system are G711.

From an Out of Office Reply, Jeff is on Sabbatical. Do any of the other moderators have an idea on this problem ?

Thanks,

Vince

Not applicable

It could still be a problem with the audio through the gateway needing a gain adjustment. You can try bumping the gain at the gateway, or tweaking the WaveDBGainRecord to see if that helps.

Scott Morgan
Cisco Systems TAC

Sounds kinda like a VAD problem to me. Do you have the 'no vad' command on all of your dial-peer voip's? If not, add it to them all. If so, try adding the command 'incoming called number .' to one of the peers.

Keith

Keith Chambers
Unity Technical Lead
Unified Voice Team, San Jose
Cisco Systems
kechambe@cisco.com

We do have the "no VAD" under the dial-peers and the incoming called number command. This configuration has been in place for nearly a year. The only change was installing the quiet prompts. I forgot that part of the procedure is changing the Registry settings for WaveDBGainRecord and WaveDBGainPlayback to 0. That is when the problems started. I changed the WaveDBGainRecord back to +5 and the problems have not gone away. I increased it to +7 to see if that will help. It really does not sound to me like problematic voice mails are that much lower (or louder than good voice mails).

Could Unity have a hardware problem?

Thanks,
Vince

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: