Cisco Support Community
Community Member

Voice Mail Only migration 2.46 to 3.1(4)

I was reading on the migration process (import/export). One portion that I was a little confused on was within the import process.

This is a VMO migration from a 2.46 platform to a 3.1 platform. The migration will consist of building a complete new server (Exchange 5.5 and W2K). I built the second server as an AD controller within its own Exchange site. I will export the information and re import onto the new server. I don't plan to import a CSV file from the old server that will create the exchange\AD accounts. If I understand the import process correctly, I should be able to import the users, when the import process notices that there is no exchange or AD user accounts created, the import process will automatically do this, correct??????

As the new server sits now it is 3.1(4), a clean install with no modifications, etc. There are no AD accounts created, except for a default Unity account that I always create.

Thanks for the help.....

Cisco Employee

Re: Voice Mail Only migration 2.46 to 3.1(4)

short answer is yes - new accounts are created on the fly if they are not found in the directory. From the Import/Export help file:

The import process for call handlers, interviewers, COS objects, etc… is pretty straight forward. Importing subscribers is where the real action is since in most cases we will need to be finding existing Exchange users in the customer’s site and making them subscribers on the fly. This can be a bit tricky so here’s a run down on the process:

1. The alias of the subscriber to be added from the Access database is searched for among existing Unity subscribers. If a match is found that user is updated to match the settings in the original Unity install. NOTE: since the Import tool should only be run on clean installs of 3.x this should only happen for the Example Administrator, Example Subscribers and the installation account. The Import tool should NOT be run on 3.x systems that have been modified from the original installation defaults.

2. The alias is then searched for among Exchange users in the site. If a match is found, that account is imported as a Unity subscriber and is modified to match the settings on the original installation of Unity. NOTE: If more than one mail user in the site has the same alias, the first one is used and an error is logged in the import progress log. This should never be the case (having to mail users with the same alias in the same site is a really bad idea) but it is possible if you try hard enough.

3. If no matches are found, a new NT/Exchange account with the alias is created on the local Unity server’s Exchange server. If you want these users to be homed on other Exchange servers in the site, you’ll have to move them using the Exchange move user tools.

CreatePlease to create content