Views
Helpful
Replies

Voice Mail Port

billsayegh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I am studying the Call Manager and was wondering why the voice mail port is configured with a alternate routing and device pool.

Is the alternate routing used when the voice mail port dials out for the mwi.

What is the device pool used for.

Thanks

Bill

5 Replies 5

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not sure what you mean by "alternate routing"?

The device pool is needed to control which codec you will use for calls to voicemail, based on the region configuration assigned to this DP.

Chris

I think he means Automatic Alternate Routing (AAR) which can be optionaly configured, so when calls using that Voice Mail ports are blocked due to bandwidth issue the call will be rerouted to the PSTN.

Hope this helps.

Karzazi

Oops, yeah I should have realized that ;-)

In CCM 4.0+ it really doesn't do anything as you need to configure AAR only on the voicemail hunt pilot, with CCM 3.3 and earlier if you wanted to re-route voicemail calls through PSTN when out-of-bandwidth you needed to configure AAR on the ports.

HTH,

Chris

Thanks for that, am I correct that the AAR will be used to dail alternate route.

Under what cases will the unity system need to dialout.

Thanks

Bill

You're brining up a good point, one scenario could be that subscriber A is configured to be notified on phone B at another location when he receives a voicemail, normally the notification will be delivered via a call originating from the voicemail port, now assume that the bandwidth between the voicemail site and the remote branch site is exhausted, AAR (if configured) would kick in and re-route the call. This is just an example, which in real world is unlikely as you usually place the Unity server at the head end site and assign unlimited Location.

If you simply want to preserve Voicemail calling you need to apply AAR group and external voicemail mask to the Hunt Pilot used by the voicemail hunt list/line group.

HTH,

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: