cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

voice mail to email only

cgeorgePA
Level 1
Level 1

When I log into my phone I get a message saying 'your messages are not available now' although we are using unified messaging and I get an email for the voice mail message. How do I fix so I can get from the phone too?

7 Replies 7

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

This usually indicates that your mail server is offline or unreachable due to network problems, etc. Are you seeing any related messages in Event Viewer on the Unity box?

Brandon

Thanks for the reply. I don't know if I said what I meant. I am getting the Unity Voice Mail messages for every phone call in my email box just fine. so I can play those back. However, I can't pick up the receiver on the 7960, choose Messages, I log in, and then the phone won't let me retrieve the messages on the phone itself. That is when I get the 'your messages are not available'. We are trying this new technology and phones, so I am still feeling my way around yet. Thanks. I am trying hard not to feel too stupid right now!

Does this happen for every user or just your account? Is the Unity account you are trying to log in to from the phone linked to the AD/Exchange account you are using for mail? Did you choose to import an existing user when you added the Unity account? Try deleting the Unity account and adding it back by choosing the Import Existing User option.

Brandon

Just my account. We are using AD imports and we used the import existing user when we created my account. It did work at first on the phone, but then stopped working. Is there a book out there that is good for troubleshooting specifics that you could recommend? I took the 5 day class, but the manual is not a step by step and there is no index to find things once you have gone through the class. Very frustrating. I was told in class never to delete a unity account first when using AD. And I am not prepared to delete the AD account because it is not the case of someone leaving. The instructor said that deleting the unity account could create some left over code that could cause problems in Unity. Hence, my problem. Any other suggestions? Perhaps a setting in call manager or unity that needs adjusted? Thanks.

Theoretically, deleting a Unity account while retaining the AD account should cause no problems. I have seen the reverse (deleting the AD account without deleting the Unity account) cause issues. To be on the safe side, you can use the Remove Subscriber Properties Tool in the Tools Depot after deleting the Unity account. This will remove any Unity related properties from the AD object. So, delete the Unity account, run the Remove Subscriber Properties Tool and create the Unity account again. Since you're only seeing the problem with your account, I'm guessing this will fix the problem

Brandon

Thanks. We have 10 ip phones we are trying. If I find it is happening to more than my account, what would you recommend? Also, any recommendations on a troubleshooting book?

I would start by looking at network connectivity between Unity and your mail server. Take a look at the links below for troubleshooting resources.

Cisco Unity Troubleshooting Guides

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/prod_troubleshooting_guides_list.html

Cisco Unity Fundamentals

http://www.ciscopress.com/title/1587050986

Hope this helps. If so, please rate the post.

Thanks,

Brandon