cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

voice message retrieval while exchange is down

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

when exchange server is disconnected, will mwi lit up? can subscriber retrieve their voice mail? is it true that the mwi only lit up when the message is delivered to the subscriber's e-mail box?<br><br>I installed unity 3.1.3 on a separate server as exchange2k, manage to get the mwi and unified messaging work. but when i disconnect the exchange server from the network, and leave a message at a subscriber's extension, the mwi is not lit up. (is this normal?)<br>when i bring back the exchange server, the mwi is lit up and i am able to listen to the message that i left just now. <br><br><br>

4 Replies 4

Not applicable

Yes, what you're seeing is normal behavior currently. The MWI is done as part of the notifier (the same guy that does message delivery functionality). The Notifier triggers of events in the subscriber's mailbox (new message arrives, message marked read/deleted etc...) to decice to trigger notification events, including MWI activity. It doesn't currently keep a finger in the local UMR store to see which subscribers have messages pending and which don't.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Technical Lead/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

can we set up unity as a secondary exchange server, such that when the primary exchange fails, subscribers can still leave and retrieve message normally, and the mwi functions normally? will the configuration work?

Not applicable

there is no such thing as a "primary" or "secondary" Exchange server... users are homed on a specific server/storage group. You can use clusters but Unity cannot be in an Exchange cluster directly. Short story, there's no way to do this currently. When the message store where a subscriber is homed is down, your MWI and notificaiton triggers will simply not work until the store comes back on line.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Technical Lead/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

while i do not recommend this in theory you could configure your exchange clients to pop in to exchange and frequently download mail and keep a copy on in the store which will allow users to listen to their voicemail while exchange is down because the pst is stored locally. again i would never suggest this and if your exchange server is down that often where you need to find a solution you need to address why you need to have your exchange down so frequently.

John Messina
Network Engineer
Crimson Technologies Inc,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: