Cisco Support Community
Community Member

voice messages scope ???

Hi all,<br><br>I have a small question, we are considering Unity and need to know the following which is not clear in the documentation:<br>Can you send a voice message to anybody with an e-mail address from ViewMail and will it then appear as an attachment (this includes new voice messages, replies or forwards) ???<br>Now from the phone, to whom can you address voice messages, only tu Unity users in your company (so-called subscribers in the doc) or to any e-mail address ? <br>This is not clear in the documentation, because it says : "you can send messages to subscribers, private lists and distibution lists" so only to Unity users ? But the product specifications on the website says : "send voice messages to anyone who can receive internet e-mail"...?<br><br>Do you have access to voice messaging tasks when accessing the Inbox from a web browser ?<br><br>Thanks for all answers.<br><br>Sylvain<br><br>

Re: voice messages scope ???

Yes, you can send anyone a message using the VMO form we add to Outlook for your clients. This can be sent to anyone with an email address, regardless of if they are a Unity subscriber or not. The message is tagged with a message class of “IPM.Note.Voice.Unity” instead of the vanilla “IPM.Note” for emails. This allows Unity and/or VMO to recognize the message as a voice mail but if the user opens it in, say, Outlook Express (which does not support form extensions) then it’ll appear just as a regular email with a WAV attachment they can play like any other sound file.

Over the telephone you can only address/forward a message to another Unity subscriber or to a public distribution list. Note that the distribution list can contain non subscribers and that’s fine… they’ll get email with attached wav files as mentioned above. To address to a specific user, however, you need to address them by their Extension number or spell their name (we play their voice name for you as confirmation). Only folks that have been made subscribers will have that information associated with them.

You can also create “Internet Subscribers” with are subscriber that have no local message store but do have a voice name and (optionally) an extension number, voice name, greetings etc… these users can redirect voice mail message to any email address you want (including remote users via the internet). This is what the documentation is referring to with the “inetnet e-mail” comment I’m sure.

If you’re using Web access to get at your mail you wont have any form extensions (i.e. VMO can’t be activated on a web interface). You’ll get your voice mail messages as attached WAV files as noted above.

If you’re interested in the Internet Subscriber/networking functionality further, you can head out to my web page and grab the “NetworkingOverview2001.doc” file on the 3.x Tools page. It contains more information about how Unity can shuttle messages between remote systems, remote users etc… it might shed some more light on this for you.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

CreatePlease to create content