Views
Helpful
Replies

Voice port monitoring

pit999
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

I need to have some graph/table to know how much voice ports on gateway is (was) in use. Right now I trying to implement very complex method with Perl to SNMP to get each port status and Perl to analyze results of SNMP requests... But may be anybody knows something less complex? Is there any MIB to monitor such a thing?

Regards,

Alexander.

19 Replies 19

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Since there has been no response to your post, it appears to be either too complex or too rare an issue for other forum members to assist you. If you don't get a suitable response to your post, you may wish to review our resources at the online Technical Assistance Center (http://www.cisco.com/tac) or speak with a TAC engineer. You can open a TAC case online at http://www.cisco.com/tac/caseopen

If anyone else in the forum has some advice, please reply to this thread.

Thank you for posting.

bmahler
Level 1
Level 1

I believe that the Windows Performance monitor or the Call Manager Serviciability tool will give the graphs. Have you tried them?

Brian

Please give me step-by-step instruction how I can do it with Windows Performance monitor...

If you just go to the Call Manager Serviciability tool, under CCM Admin, its all there. It will show you all H323 ports being used on your gateways that are setup on call manager

Unfortunately I have no Call Manager at all and don't know how to use Windows Performance monitor to investigate voice ports on Cisco router... Have I missed something? Does it use SNMP?

Alexander.

msmith
Level 1
Level 1

Alexander: I too am in the same spot. See 22Feb02 Forum "Monitoring Failed Calls on Gateway". Per Tac there is not a solution to this. I am looking at getting the syslog sent to me and parsing the info out. But havent completed this project. In CIPT class I spoke with a guy who ran Pearl scripts on his routers to extract daily info. sorry details unknown. Working with local Cisco Rep on getting syslog info back to me. Email me your address if you wish and I will give you what I find. thanks marc

rgupta9
Level 1
Level 1

You could log into the gateway and do something like a show isdn status and check the line in the output that says something like 10 channels busy. And then timestamp the output. And there you have it. You know how many h.323 channels are being used by the number of isdn/cas channels being used. I think a perl script for this would be pretty easy. Or you could do a show dsp etc, etc....

Thanks, it's just that I do now. But we always want to use something very very simple like xnmgraph from HP OV NNM... Don't we?

So all I need to do that - some special MIB variable to monitor. Is there any?

Alexander.

I've been battling this for a while as well. Can you tell us what type of gateway you have and weather you have analog or digital interfaces?

To types of hardware:

Cisco1750 + analog voice ports - it works with Perl+SNMP+MRTG(to graph results)

&

CIsco3640,AS5350 + PRI - we keep it in mind for a while :)

Well almost same results here. I can get port stats using SNMP on my analog ports (VG200 FXS ports) using the cvaIfFXSHookStatus OID but can't find a OID that shows the PRI channel status. The closest match I have is the "transmission.isdnMib.isdnMibObjects.isdnBearerGroup.isdnBearerTable.isdnBearerEntry

.isdnBearerOperStatus" but I have not seen that OID change on my H323 gateway when I place or receive a call.

If PRI MGCP backhauling was available, you could see the port channel status just like you do with the DT-24+ cards inside the Callmanager/Windows 2000 performance monitoring tool. With the help of perfmib tools you can map performance monitor metrics to SNMP OIDs. Instructions used to be at http://snmpboy.rte.microsoft.com but looks like the site is down.

If you find out an other way of getting PRI port channel stats let me know.

Could you please write complete OID ...cvaIfFXSHookStatus? Unfortunately it's not obviously for me :)

And the same for isdn MIB, OK?

Regards,

Alexander.

To see the FXS port status you will need to get a hold of the CISCO-VOICE-ANALOG-IF-MIB.my MIB.

Inside this MIB you can use the

enterprises.cisco.ciscoMgmt.ciscoVoiceAnalogIfMIB.cvaIfObjects.cvaIfFXSObjects.cvaIfFXSStatusTable.cvaIfFXSStatusEntry.cvaIfFXSHookStatus table to see the status of an FXS port.

walk this OID (.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.62.1.4.2.1.1) to find the index numbers.

I found out that you can use the IFMIB to monitor the status of your PRI channels. First you need to find the ifIndex of your PRI channels.

To find the ifIndex numbers of your PRI channels look for "Serial1/0:0-Bearer Channel" in the interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr table.

Than you would need to monitor the

interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifOperStatus."ifIndexNUM"OID and it should tell you weather the channel is up or not.

examp:

snmpwalk router community interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr

interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.30 = "Serial1/0:0-Bearer Channel"

interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.31 = "Serial1/0:1-Bearer Channel"

interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.32 = "Serial1/0:2-Bearer Channel"

interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.33 = "Serial1/0:3-Bearer Channel"

interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.34 = "Serial1/0:4-Bearer Channel"

To find out the Channel status of "Serial1/0:4-Bearer Channel" you would need to do

snmpget router community interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifOperStatus.34

Hope this helps.

Aha!

I'm sorry - I was wrong :)

I'm in the same stage of knowledge - I can get current state of each pof ports router has.

I need to do additional activities to get number of current calls analog or digital.

Thanx.