Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bronze

VOICE QUALITY

i know this is a question that is difficult to really put in logical steps but i was wondering what steps do you all take to resolve voice quality issues. more specifically, im having an issue in that i hear a little background noise and then none at all. background noise occurs when i speak, but if no voice i get dead for a split second then background noise again. i have disabled VAD and did some QOS on the router but it still has the same issue. please note that these phones are connected to unmanaged DELL switches. applications that are travesing the network are email and Internet only.

the symptoms occur from IP PHONE TO IP PHONE in same location, calls going out to the PSTN and incoming calls from PSTN. it is also an intermittent issue.

we only have four phones right now with plans to upgrade the entire 100 user network. we will be replacing the switches to cat 3560 POE when this rollout is to occur.

any hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. ive checked numerous documentation on Cisco and went through all the sounds to class my issue but no positive result has come about.

2 REPLIES
VIP Purple

Re: VOICE QUALITY

It will be impossible to guarantee quality with unmanaged switches. In this scenario, voice packets get treated the same as data which means that if there is congestion, voice packets will have to wait their turn leading to degraded voice quality. You should see a significant change in voice quality when you move to 3560s with QoS enabled.

Brandon

Bronze

Re: VOICE QUALITY

thanks a lot forthe reply,

i told them as much so ill give them a report for thier cost justtification.

thaks again

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content