Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Voice vlan and additional QoS parameters in 29xx, 35xx switches

I am a bit confused as to the need for additional QoS parameters in stackable switches, if voice vlan is configured on the access ports. I have a customer with 3500 switches coneected to 6500 distribution and core switches. They will be piloting IP telephony, using 3550PWR switches. I have configured

int fast 0/x

switch mode trunk

switch trunk encap dot1q

switch voice vlan 20

switch trunk native vlan 10

switch priority extend cos 0

int gig 0/1 (uplink)

switch mode trunk

switch trunk encap dot1q

As I understand the voice vlan doc on CCO, this should be sufficient to to ensure that voice traffic is tagged with COS on the access ports, is prioritized within the switch, and on the egress ports, both access and uplink, and also that COS is set and honored on voice traffic on the uplink port. That is the only QoS requirement the customer has. QoS doc, on the other hand, seems to indicate the additional mls qos etc. commands are needed for the COS to be handled correctly. Can anyone clarify? Thanks.

2 REPLIES

Re: Voice vlan and additional QoS parameters in 29xx, 35xx switc

mls qos enables qos for all ports in the switch. This is not needed in your case, unless you plan to use an MQC (modular qos cli) for setting qos parameters for packets entering the switch (both data and voice).

Community Member

Re: Voice vlan and additional QoS parameters in 29xx, 35xx switc

Thanks - that's what I thought, but wasn't sure

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content