cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Voicemail Transfer question for all Unity Gurus

triad
Level 1
Level 1

I have two subscribers, an Executive and a Secretary. I want all calls to ring at the Executive phone first. If the Executive is not there, her voicemail picks up and gives the caller the option of pressing #1 for voicemail, #2 for the assistant. My problem is that if the assistant doesn't answer the phone how do I direct that call to the Excutive's voicemail. I tried to create a routing rule but this did not work because all transfers are made from voicemail not the acutal extension. (?????) Any Suggestions..<br><br>Thank you<br><br>

5 Replies 5

Not applicable

There's probably a better way than the routing rules. Have the caller input option for "2" go to a Call Handler that is set to supervise transfer to the Secretary's extension. Set the greeting for the Call Handler to "blank". After greeting action should be "Send Caller to Subscriber" (the Executive) and Converstation should be "Send to Greeting for".

That way, you can preserve AA transfers to the Secretary and forwards to Unity from the secretary.

Steve Olivier
Software Engineer
Cisco Systems

I tried this and it didn't work. What I'm trying to have done is if the secretary does not pick up, I want all calls forwarded frow the executive to go back to her (the executive's) voicemail automatically from the secretary

Not applicable

Well, let me make sure I understand the desired call flow one more time...

A call is placed to the executive and it forwards to Unity. Inside Unity the caller has an option to press 1 to leave a message for the executive or to press 2 to transfer to the secretary. If they press 2, the call is transferred to the secretary. If the secretary does not answer the call, the caller is sent back to voice mail to leave a message for the executive. Is that correct?

This should be possible. When you mentioned that it did not work, how did it not work? What happened?

Steve Olivier
Software Engineer
Cisco Systems

Yes the flow is correct. I created the call handler suggested and tried it out. When I called the executive's extension and voicemail, I press #2 to select the Call Handler created. Everytime I selected #2, I was rerouted to the Executive's voicemail. I am looking for a way to ring the secretary's desk first and if she doesn't pick up I want the call automatically transfered to the executive's voicemail. I want to do all this and still allow the secretary to receive her calls.

Thanks for your help

Not applicable

It will work. I bet this is what is going on...

For the CallHandler you created (for the #2 option), I bet the transfer rule for the secretary applies to "Standard", and it's enabled. On that same Call Handler, the alternate transfer rule is also enabled, but the transfer of incoming calls isn't set. The alternate rule is getting picked first. Either disabled the alternate call transfer rule, or make the alternate call transfer rule ring the seceretary's phone.

Steve Olivier
Software Engineer
Cisco Systems