Cisco Support Community
Community Member

VoIP chalenging questions

Dear All,

I've got some chalenging questions about implementing Cisco VoIP and I looking for some fair answers:

1. What visible indications are invoked if IP phones default to survivable telephony mode?

2.How long will active calls last if primary call control is lost?

3.How does VoIP solution provide effortless IP phone addressing without having to change the addressing scheme of the existing IP data network?

4.Under what circumstances would a telephone outage affect the LAN/PC communications to the network?

5.Does the system support clustering? If so, across how many systems?

6.What is the highest number of IP devices currently supported under a single instance of the software? How many IP devices are supported by a cluster?

7.Does the system have a web-based or GUI-based administration tool? Is this included in the base price?

8.Can a single administration portal/tool be used to manage all systems within an enterprise simultaneously? If not, explain the administrative process?

9.How does the system provide for fault tolerance? f.i. Is it ?hot standby redundancy?

10.If/when a switchover event occurs, describe the events and detail what a subscriber and caller would experience.

11.How are databases synchronized?

12.How is time clocking designed?

13.How is clocking synchronized?

14.What virus and intrusion protection is included ?

15.What is the response process and what activities are conducted in the immediate identification of new viruses, denial of service and similar attacks?

16.What activities or applications do you recommended / conduct to detect and block VoIP spam?

17.What toll fraud protection is available? Identify its process. How is it managed & monitored?

18.How many pairs of wires are needed to support non- IP telephones: digital telephones, analog stations, terminals and consoles?

19.Identify and describe the distance limitations and wire gauge limitations to your station equipment, consoles, administrative terminals, etc.

20.Do digital or IP telephone ?sidecar expansion? units require local power? If so, identify & explain the requirement.

21.Describe the power requirements for all system components.

22.Wwhat are the two-hour UPS or ?battery? backup capabilities ?

23.What system management diagnostic tools can be use?

a.What types of event logs does the system support?

b.What diagnostic reports are available to aid in isolating faults? Can diagnostics be remotely accessed?

c.Are the system?s diagnostic tools SNMP compliant?

24.What specific VoIP system diagnostic & management tools can be use?

a.What types of event logs does the system support?

b.What VoIP reports are available to aid in isolating faults? Can diagnostics be remotely accessed?

c.Are the system?s diagnostic tools SNMP compliant?

25.What remote diagnostics are available? Can administrators see and access any alarms or alerts on the system from remote terminals?

26.What system monitoring report(s) are available ? How about any third party monitoring products for the followings:

-Status trunking

-Real-time traffic

-Status of call center

-Status of call center components

-Status of all routing components

-Status of all remote components

-Status of individual stations

-Status of all gateway ports

-Call trace capability

I would like to thanks in advance to each of you for your time and consideration.

Community Member

Re: VoIP chalenging questions

Dont want to be rude but CCO is a good start.

Community Member

This looks an awful lot like schoolwork of some variety. :-)

Community Member

Sorry for the blast and for such VoIP questions. Due to the luck (tone's of material) of CISCO site and time constarin I was hoping that someone already knows the answers and is willing to share with the comunity w/o having to go to the pain and do a lot of search on CCO and hoping that you might find the fair answer for those questions.

Thanks a lot and have a good day!

Someone would spend a day typing everything up for you. If I were you, I would pick up a CallManager book. "Cisco IP Telphony: Planing, Design, Implentation, Operation and Optimization" There is also "Cisco CallManager Best Practice."

Or call your local Cisco Sales guy, they have local SE's that can give a briefing of the product in more details.

Most of know all the answers to those questions, but it would take any of us 2-3 hours to pull up. The books Cisco have out are great for reference and quick lookups for this stuff.

good luck!

CreatePlease to create content