Views
Helpful
Replies

Voip: codec mismatch

Carlos A. Silva
Level 3
Level 3

Hi...quick question:

If i'm trying to setup a call between 2 3640's and one of them is running a codec with a-law on it and the other with u-law, will it work? (i;m almost expecting the answer to be NO) why not?

If the answer is NO: then why would the calls work one-way (from a-law to u-law) but not the other way around?

6 Replies 6

s.tecnico
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Carlos,

you must have the same codec in the common dial-peers between the routers.

Sergi Bondia.

thanks, sergi.

that's all i needed.

:o)

dumartin
Level 1
Level 1

You can also setup a voice class for the codec. These come in handy when you have more than one codec being used in the network. Here is a link on how you configure it.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/788/voip/codec_complexity.html#fifth

Okey just another qucik question. What if i want to create such voice class thing for POTS dial-peer. I mean to say if someone dials with any codec and i want to match it on my terminating Access Server ?. I have many different vendors using different codec, terminating calls on us. Any suggestions

voice class apply to VoIP dial-peer both inbound and out bound. When you create a voice class with a list of codec, if some vendors they want to terninate the calls to you, his codec much match with your list.

hi!

thanks that you care to answer. yes i wanted a working config for inbound calls. here what i did and it worked....

!

voice class codec 1

codec preference 1 g723ar63

codec preference 2 g723ar53

codec preference 3 g723r63

codec preference 4 g723r53

codec preference 5 g729br8

codec preference 6 g729r8

codec preference 7 g726r16

codec preference 8 g728

codec preference 9 g726r24

codec preference 10 g726r32