Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

VoIP design

Hi all,

i have to install ( for a small office ) 15 IP phone with a Call manager espress but i have few few question for you:

1) Best practise suggest to have one Vlan for IP Phone and one for PC: isn't it ?

2) Where is the best Vlan to place CM Express ? ( Voip Vlan or PC Vlan ? )

3) If i have one Layer3 switch ( with the 2 vlan configured ) and the access wan router also connected to it what is the best practise for IP phone default gateway ( router or Layer3 ) ?

Thanks in advance for your help

L.

6 REPLIES

Re: VoIP design

1 - Yes

2 - I would put CME router in voice vlan. But if the same router is being used for data and voice, then it really is not a big gain to put the router in one vlan over the other.

3 - If L3 switch has 2 SVI (vlan interfaces) configured, then you can set the L3 switch as the default gateway. On the L3 switch, you can run a default route to the WAN router as next hop. The CME can remain in the voice vlan.

HTH

Sankar.

PS: please remember to rate replies@!

Bronze

#1 yes

#2 voip

#3 L3 Switch can be the DG for the pc/phones with default route pointing to the wan router.

U can do the following:

1. keep it simple with 2 vlans as originally plan

or if you want to be more granular

2. can add a 3rd vlan for the management vlan

3. if you have a firewall, add a 4th vlan for it.

Thanks you for you reply,

another question:

If i have also a VG224, i have to place it also in VoIP vlan near to CME ?

Thanks again

Regards.

That would be correct.

I-sky,

That would sound logical to add VG224 to the same vlan.

Sankar.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Make sure however to configure the switchport where the vg224 is connected with "switchport access vlan ", and do not add "switchport voice vlan <>" command. The GW unlike the phones does not recognize the voice vlan so this way you can assign it to voice VLAN.

Chris

Please rate all useful posts!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content