Views
Helpful
Replies

VOIP dial-peer

dvanzee
Level 2
Level 2

I'm trying to get some advice.

We want to route a fax ph# over our PTP into a right fax server. My question is, is this ok to do? Any concerns or things to watch out for? Here is the dial peer I’m going to use (keep in mind this is a fax dial-peer)

dial-peer voice 6610 voip

preference 1

destination-pattern 6610

progress_ind setup enable 3

translate-outgoing called 1

voice-class codec 1

voice-class h323 1

session target ipv4:192.168.0.22 <--- (right fax server)

incoming called-number 6610

dtmf-relay cisco-rtp h245-signal h245-alphanumeric

no vad

Any comments or suggestions would be great.

5 Replies 5

dgahm
Level 8
Level 8

I assume you have the Brooktrout T38 fax board in your server?

You need to set fax protocol t38 in your voip peer, unless you have set it globally under voice service voip.

Yes I do. How about the rest of the dial peer does everything look good? Any concerns about routing faxes over a PTP link?

We run Cisco fax relay over our WAN links(50 plus sites)with great success, though our RightFax servers use PRIs.

You do need to have QOS configured on the WAN so the fax packets will be priority queued.

Thanks for the help. One last question. I've noticed that this first number I'm trying to route is already in use on that network, so I assume I have to translate it. I looked on my GW and there was already a translation rule setup

voice translation-rule 1

rule 1 /^193[0-7]$/ /8517/

rule 2 /^688[1-9]$/ /8517/

rule 3 /^689[0-9]$/ /8517/

rule 4 /^6990$/ /8517/

rule 5 /^191[0-2,5,9]$/ /8517/

rule 6 /^8518$/ /8517/

rule 7 /^852[3,6]$/ /8517/

rule 8 /^1909$/ /8517/

rule 9 /^6610$/ /8610/ <<<<<<< (Number i'm trying to translate)

Then I created a dial peer 8610, but I don't see it hitting this dialpeer I see it hitting a default dialpeer and it's not getting translated?????? Here is my dialpeer

dial-peer voice 8610 voip

preference 1

destination-pattern 8610

progress_ind setup enable 3

translate-outgoing called 1

voice-class codec 1

voice-class h323 1

session target ipv4:192.168.0.22

incoming called-number 8610

dtmf-relay cisco-rtp h245-signal h245-alphanumeric

fax protocol t38 ls-redundancy 0 hs-redundancy 0 fallback cisco

no vad

Is there something wrong with the translation rule, should I create a new one?

I also tested the translation rule

ReedGroupNY_3745#test voice translation-rule 1 6610

Matched with rule 9

Original number: 6610 Translated number: 8610

Original number type: none Translated number type: none

Original number plan: none Translated number plan: none

It appears to be correct. I thought after it was translated it would find a matching dialpeer? Any info would be great.

The router will match the call to the peer, then do translations. So you need a peer with a 6610 destination, then the far end will get a call setup for called number 8610.

One other minor point that probably won't cause a problem. You probably don't need the incoming called-number statement in your VOIP peer. That would only apply to inbound voip calls. By default, inbound calls with a calling number matching the VOIP peer destination will match. If you do need to match on inbound called number this should be the number sent (before any translation).

Please remember to rate useful posts.

Dave

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: