Views
Helpful
Replies

voip experiment

ciscoVOIP7960
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am thinking on building a small voip experiment in school. I have two 7960 voip phones, a cisco convergence media server(Call Manager) and a 17900 series cisco router. How do I do such experiment. Just to be clear, I want to make phone calls between two voip phone and also from voip phone to an ordinary phone. Any ideas?

P.S. This is an experiment. And we have all these things in school but no one seems to do anything about it. So, I am trying to put these cisco products to work.

Thanks,

Paul

16 Replies 16

sgelli
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Paul,

Take a look at the following URL:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a0080094636.shtml

1. Not sure what a 17900 series cisco router is...I am guessing that this is a typo.

2. If the gateway can support FXS ports, you can connect the analog phone directly to the FXS port on the gateway (in your setup, there is no PSTN..just a direct connection between the analog phone and the gateway).

3. You did not mention if you have a switch. If not, you need to get one so you can connect the CallManager, the IP phones and the gateway. If the switch does not have inline power capability, use the external power adapters to power the phones.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Srikanth

Thanks again Srikanth!

It is a typo in number 1, I meant to say 1700 series router. And it has 2 FXS ports.

I will be using a switch(cisco 2900 series).

The only thing I am not sure about is the call manager 3.1 software. I mean, how do I start this from scratch?

Firstly, I am on the school network. how do I configure the connection between two ip phones?

How do I configure the call manager to recognize the two ip phones?

Sorry for all of this trouble! but I am kind of newbbie to this!

Thanks Again Srikanth!

Thanks Scott! It is very helpful info!

I'm back!

Quick question! Can I use FXS interface card to get access to PSTN or I really need to have FXO interface card?

paul

hi

I have seen FXS card interfaced with EPABX but which is again not recommended and will also damage your FXS card.

AFAIK your FXS card generates some voltage which is reqd for your normal telephone equipment a nd also give u a dial tone when u pick up the handset.

if u connect the PSTN line or epabx which mite in turn generate some reverse voltage and send it towards ur FXS card which is very much harmful and suggest not to go for something in that kinda otherwise will end up in getting your card damaged :-(.

Better go for FXO interface cards to get your PSTN lines connected ...FXO cards are recommended for trunk, or tie line, connections to a PSTN CO or to a PBX that does not support E&M signaling

regds

Hello Paul,

If you are connecting the router to the PSTN directly, you have to use an FXO port. If you are connecting to a PBX, you can use an FXS port provided it is connecting to the FXO port on the PBX.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Srikanth

Srikanth,

That's very helpful.

On the other side, I was messing around with the call manager 3.0 on Windows 2000 Server and two voip 7960 phones(tried to get the whole system working). And it looked to me that someone had tried to set it up before me (unsure if it worked or not?). Now, how do I reset the two voip phones to the factory settings(or erase the whole configuration(s))? What do I have to configure on the call manager software to get this whole system to work? Any available links out there?

Note: I am newbbie to this! Forgive!

Thanks to all of you out there!

Paul

Hello Paul,

I tried to include as much as possible in the attached doc. Let me know if that helps.

Regards,

Srikanth

Srikanth,

This seems very straight -> forward! I will test this out next week. Hopefully, I can get it to work.

Thanks ALOT!

Paul

Hi All!

I need to reinstall MCS 7830 on my system but my system freezes. I have two (Recovery)cds that came with this cisco system. I am trying to install the Operating System which is 2000 Server but after a few minutes the system freezes. Does anyone out there know how to overcome this problem?

I was asked to put in the product key at one time but I did not have it then. So, I thought I will resume the next day. I think, that the system just locked me down. How do I go around this prob?

Help!

Paul

Srikanth,

It seems that I am having a problem with a cisco call manager. It is giving me errors.

Do you know where I could download a new copy of a cisco manager? I need to reinstall this system b/c I have no clue how to debug this thing!

Thanks!

Paul

Hello Paul,

I somehow missed this message! Unfortunately, the CCM software is not downloadable (except for upgrades). You will either need to buy the software or find the CDs that came with the CallManager :-(

Also, regarding the other email where the system froze because you waited too long, you may have to install from scratch.

Regards,

Srikanth

Srikanth,

I aleardy found those two CCM discs(First disc is Windows 2000 Server and Second disc is the Call Manager). Now, I do not quite get it but this seems very weird. Here are the details...

I tried to reinstall the whole thing from the scratch, but I did not have the the product key. So, I just exited out the program installation. And when I wanted to continue the next day, the system keeps on freezing after a few seconds. Then, I got tired of that and I reinstalled the Windows 2000 server, trying just to install the "Call Manager Software" on genuine microsoft version(not the cisco version of Windows 2000 server) but then I got an error "Improper OS. Program will be terminated."

So, how to I start this from scratch? Simply, format both harddrives or ????? Any ideas? Let me know!

Thanks,

Paul