cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VoIP Lab Recommendations

markmiller
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking for what basic components are necessary for a worthwhile VoIP practice lab at work. Video may be an option. Thanks.

4 Replies 4

Andrew Short
Level 1
Level 1

I can't comment on IP Phones or Call Manager, but for Voice over IP I would do the following:

For basic VOIP, you need two routers with the following:

1750-4V with VIC-2FXS + VIC-2FXO

1750-4V with VIC-2FXS + VIC-2E/M

(Make sure the IOS specifies "Voice")

This will allow you to run VOIP scenarios for dial-plans, for connecting to the PSTN via the FXO port, and it even allows an analog connection to a PBX via the E&M port. You may want to get a second E&M card and try getting the routers to talk to each other through the E&M ports.

For more advanced VOIP testing, I recommend ADDING the 2600 with an NM-HDV-1T1-24= for T-1 voice connections. You can connect this to a PBX T-1 card OR to another similarly equipped 2600 or 3600. For 2600's or 3600's to support voice, you need the "IP Plus" feature set.

You can put the VIC's in the 2600/3600 as well (after removing the NM-HDV-1T1= on the 2600) by adding the NM-2V card.

Hey...good luck getting someone to pay for this.

A cheaper way to go versus the 2600/3600 would be an MC3810 with a Digital Voice Module (DVM. You can also order them with FXS, FXO and E&M ports in lieu of the DVM. You can also use these routers to test out VoFR and VoATM with the proper IOS.

epylko
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco has a Call Manager starter kit that includes a Call Manager and 5 IP Phones (7960). For a gateway, the VG200 can be a relatively inexpensive - it can be supported by CCM as either an H.323 device with a T1/PRI, or an MGCP device if you get FXO/FXS/E+M ports for it.

-Eric

mdoherty
Level 1
Level 1

Here is the link to Cisco's IP Telephony Specialization page. It contains a listing of the required lab for IP Telephony partners. You may need CCO access in order to view.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/767/spcl/iptel/req.html

Hope that helps a little.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: